Need a fan, none of them seem to match mine

thedoublej

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
My old HP has been hootin' and hollerin' at me that the system fan has failed, blah blah blah, F2 to proceed, yada yada. Instead of getting a new fan, I just got a new tower instead, problem solved. I would like to keep the HP running though, for the kid, so she has somewhere to store her 11 billion pictures from her ipod. I hit the ebay today, looking for a fan, and unlike my old 2500K, there seem to be dozens of different styles of fan for this thing.

Here's what I know: Pavilion a6000, Core 2 Duo E4300 1.8ghz in a 775 socket. The fan I pulled out uses screws instead of the quarter turn fasteners that my 2600 and 2500K use. The heat sink is square to the processor, but the fan is rotated about 10 degrees to give access to the screw heads. The fan itself is held to a plastic doodad on top of the heat sink by 4 clippy things, and it has four wires to the MB.

Don't need anything fancy, although I did find a
Coolmaster Hyper TX2 online for about 20 bones, but it seems like overkill and I don't even know if it'll work. I'd even be cool with just snapping a new fan into the heat sink. The frame of the failed fan measures 80mm square.

Very simple installation. The white clips push through the bracket and board. The black pins spread the white clips on the back of the board to hold the bracket. It's kinda like a molly bolt in drywall if you ever used one. You can clean the old paste residue with a lint free cloth and isopropyl alcohol or if it comes off easily just dry wipe it. Don't use anything oil based or that leaves any kind of residue. New heatsink has thermal paste already applied. Just peel plastic protective cover off first before mounting. You can probably find you tube video for this use part name and model number search at you tube.

thedoublej

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Well, install wasn't that simple, turns out there's a bracket glued to the back of the MB that the old fan/cooler screwed into, that I had to remove before the pin doodads would work properly. If I had to do it again, I'd go with a screw in model like it had originally. Either way, got it done, back together, fired it up, and SYSTEM FAN FAILURE, PRESS F2. So I guess the fan was fine and my MB has an issue reading it's speed. Booo. Thanks for your help all. Oh, in case anyone is wondering, with the new cooler, 70 degrees ambient, I ran 59C during prime95, with only one case fan.