Need a good laptop for engineering college please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheshta1

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Need a laptop for an engineering university. Please recommend some good laptops and laptop brands. What i need.. Intel core duo at a min 2.2ghz, 2gb min 4gb recommended. Hard drive BO-200 gb, dvd/cd or dvd/rw , 10/100/1000 mbs ethernet adapter,wireless 802.11 adapter, graphics media acclerator, 128 mb video card min. Windows vista home premium or business, three year old warrenty

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006

As an engineering student you should look to redifine your laptop requirements. 2.2Ghz C2D is not fast enough, you should get a least an i5, preferably Sandbridge (when available) at 2.5Ghz or higher. You will be running CAD programs and probably multitasking a lot so a minimum of 8GB of RAM. A 500GB HD should be standard. Most if not all laptops come with 10/100 and 802.11n, not sure why you would need gigabit unless it is a school requirement.

What you should focus is on a dedicated video card with at least 1GB of RAM that can accelerate OpenGL functions for your engineering CAD programs. A Quadro card would be ideal but very pricey so you may look at a gaming laptop with a high resolution screen and an Nvidia 460m or ATI 5870m class video instead. You will get more benefit from getting a desktop with a quadro if you really need one.

cheshta1

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
1. What is your budget?
below $1000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
13 , 14 or 15 inch

3. What screen resolution do you want?
anything good. not really a gamer.....

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
a portable one

5. How much battery life do you need?
4-10 hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
not really a gamer. if there would be, all of them would be low...

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
all of these in the bracket..

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
4 to 8 GB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
i will be buying it from a store

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
4 to 5 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD ROM/Writer others i dont really know

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
dell, asus, sony, you can mention others too...

13. What country do you live in?
India

I hope this can help people to better find their ideal notebook.

Additionally... you should also consider what support options are available in your area. If say you buy something abroad, will you be able to have it fixed near where you live? Does the warranty apply? How quickly do local accredited technicians fix laptops?

cheshta1

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
i really dont know about all that....... in your opinion which laptop would meet all the requirements....... i recently searched through dell XPS 14 R , dell inspiron 15 R, asus bamboo , sony vaio........ which among would meet all the requirements?????? please suggest any other....... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.