[SOLVED] Need a good motherboard replacement

Witch Mercy

Reputable
May 13, 2017
I recently bought the MSI Tomahawk B550 motherboard and it arrived DOA, I couldn't even get the BIOS to flash to use with my 5600X, nor would any of the LEDs turn on. Only things that worked was the CPU cooler and case fans, I got no post (GPU works fine in my other PC). I even used four different flashdrives to attempt to BIOS update and nothing worked. So I'm going to return it, and now I need a replacement.

I'm looking at the ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming board, click here for link.

Specs;

EVGA RTX 3060ti XC
Ryzen 5 5600X
16GB DDR4 RAM
Phanteks P400a Eclipse case
Seasonic FOCUS GX-650 650W Gold 80+ PSU
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Black Edition CPU cooler

The motherboard needs to have ARGB support, I also purchased a set of [URL='https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C2KCN2K[/URL] to match the three preinstalled fans with the Phanteks case. And from what I see, the ROG Strix B550-F gaming board only has one ARGB header? Would I be able to use all six fans with just one?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
All the same, mid grade mobo's. Different colors, maybe a couple different headers. Personally I'm not a big fan of Gigabyte products, but the Aurous Master is well respected. The MSI has a slightly different power delivery system but works well and is very popular, often getting a little bit more for the price than the other 2. The only brand I'd stay clear of is ASRock. Their quality has gone downhill lately.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's Sunday morning, your original post was at 5:42 AM. Not exactly the best time to get immediate responses as many are doing the Sunday morning sleep-in, taking family to Church etc. So have some patience please, 99.99% of ppl here are volunteers whom gladly offer their time and experience, but are 100% not at ppls beck and call. And don't bump, it's rude and unfair to other posters.

To answer your question, you can easily put 6 ARGB on the same header, an ARGB header can generally handle upto @ 72 fans worth total.

Which is different to the fans themselves. Lighting is lighting, fan is fan, they plug into different places.

Witch Mercy

Reputable
May 13, 2017
It's Sunday morning, your original post was at 5:42 AM. Not exactly the best time to get immediate responses as many are doing the Sunday morning sleep-in, taking family to Church etc. So have some patience please, 99.99% of ppl here are volunteers whom gladly offer their time and experience, but are 100% not at ppls beck and call. And don't bump, it's rude and unfair to other posters.

To answer your question, you can easily put 6 ARGB on the same header, an ARGB header can generally handle upto @ 72 fans worth total.

Which is different to the fans themselves. Lighting is lighting, fan is fan, they plug into different places.

I am aware, which is why I waited 4+ hours to bump.

Anyway, a second MSI MAG Tomahawk B550, ASUS ROG Strix B550-f gaming, or a Gigabyte AORUS motherboard. Any of them significantly better than the other two? I don't OC or anything, I just want my upgrade finished.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
All the same, mid grade mobo's. Different colors, maybe a couple different headers. Personally I'm not a big fan of Gigabyte products, but the Aurous Master is well respected. The MSI has a slightly different power delivery system but works well and is very popular, often getting a little bit more for the price than the other 2. The only brand I'd stay clear of is ASRock. Their quality has gone downhill lately.

Solution

Witch Mercy

Reputable
May 13, 2017

Okay, I think I may try to exchange it for another Tomahawk and if I have issues with that, I'll go with the ASUS. Given it is my motherboard, only thing I couldn't check was the CPU, GPU and RAM works fine in my old computer so it isn't that.