Need a good, quiet cooler for 8320 and tall ram.

justwatch

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
I've got my first build coming together:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2ukvD

and I'm beginning to think that the tall ram may have been a mistake to buy because I've recently looked up videos of the 8320's stock cooler and it is extremely loud and distracting, and the cooler I was looking at (Cooler Master Hyper 212) I have no idea if it will, all things taken into account (mobo, case size, ram physical size), fit, even when I look at videos of similar builds.

Can anyone help me out? Would everything fit?

Also, the setup for the cooler also looks like a little much honestly, so I would actually be fine if anyone can suggest a cooler around the same price that would assuredly fit, that's better (and quieter) than the stock cooler on the 8320, and that's easier to install (if possible)

Thanks.

Solution

It's very easy. You do need a backplate on AM3+ but it's really not much hassle, just a few...
Since the fan on the 212 EVO clips on anyway, it's possible to push it slightly further up if RAM clearance is an issue. I have RAM with a heat spreader on the top, not quite as tall as those ripjaws, but it's no issue at all.

justwatch

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

Thanks. I think I'm going to get it (well, the "PLUS" at least, and save a few bucks).

This is my first build, so I gotta ask how you would rate the difficulty of installing the cooler. I have seen someone say that the backplate only needs to be installed if you have an intel processor. Is that right? I have an fx-8320, so I'm asking because it would be great if I didn't have to worry about the back plate.

It's very easy. You do need a backplate on AM3+ but it's really not much hassle, just a few screws extra. I guess since you're building first time you won't need to worry about a cut-out in the back of your case (which would make it easier if you were trying to add it in to an already built system). Basically it consists of screwing in some backplates, adding an X shaped mechanism on the front of the motherboard, screwing a few screws, applying the thermal paste, seating the cooler and screwing the screws in (and plugging in the fan!). It's a really simple process and the instructions are very clear.

Solution

justwatch

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013

Thanks for the help, man. I'm going to order. I'm just apprehensive about handling the mobo when installing something like this.