Need a good suggestion ddr333 ram...small problem.

okay. so i've got 3x512 sticks of kingston ram, and i want to get some better ram - i think that's whats holding my cpu back on overclocking further. my motherboard is a little finicky about ram though. i have 1.5gb of ram technically, but my motherboard only sees 1.25gb because one of the sticks is double-sided, and for some reason my motherboard doesn't like double sided sticks.

so, question one..

do you think that the ram is worth it (i'm looking for 2x1gb sticks) considering the oc advantage and the extra 768mb i'll get for only ~100$?

and two..

and if so, does anyone have a good suggestion on some that are single-sided?
newegg doesn't have much choice on a product this old.

or..
should i just suck it up and not upgrade this guy anymore.
considering i'm poor, that means i'm stuck with it for at least another 2 years.

jt001

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
IMO, there's no point in putting any more money into such an old system. DDR costs about 2x as much as DDR2 also.

1.25GB of RAM is about the right amount for a system like that anyway

well, crysis runs pretty well, but i use 99% of my ram when playing it, and i'd like extra headroom.

btw, you can check system specs of any person that posts them under their name.

but, it's DDR ram and i've got an aopen ak77-600max

~and if i can get the ram for christmas, i don't pay for it.
otherwise, it is only 100 bucks. small price to play for better multitasking, better overclocking, better gaming.
also increases the useability of the system after i've replaced it. and i can sell my old ram for some $$ too.

jt001

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
Well, as long as your applications run smoothly (especially something as demanding as crysis even), I wouldn't bother.

However, if you're still set on upgrading your RAM, buying some secondhand off eBay or something might be your best bet, as I'd imagine it'd be fairly cheap because of people that have upgraded to DDR2/3, and it costs a lot retail because of a lesser supply and it being phased out.