Question Need a help with buying graphics card and many other stuff.

Jun 29, 2022
I don't know much about pc and makes me feel like I have to post the entire thing for someone to get the idea of what I need.
It's quite long though.

My pc.

CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology

GPU
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
1920x1080@60Hz
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(1080p Full HD. I have the biggest pc monitor possible without being a wide long type screen for gaming. I tried to look for bigger and they say any bigger monitor is gonna be either longer wide screen or a "TV".
I don't know the difference between pc monitor and tv but don't understand why pc monitor can't be big as a tv. When you can just connect pc and tv. I guess pc monitor is for letters to be viewed easier and tvs are for big screen for videos ?
QHD is 1440p
UHD is 4K

according to
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...g-you-need-to-know-about-gaming-monitors.html

So simply said the definition of QHD and UHD was the size of the screen of being big enough for 1440p and 4K ? Easily understandable thinking about youtube video quality.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz

Motherboard
MSI H81M-P33 (MS-7817) SOCKET 0

Size of my PC and the case.
https://www.amazon.com/ProLiant-Qua...lja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

Not the exact size and look of the case. Just an example to get an idea.
What I'm trying to say is that my PC is BIG as this one and not slim.
I have a very cheap pc case. It's not a see through case. It's not a slim pc case.
The inside does not look like this photo. As in terms of the location of cpu,gpu etc.

Somebody said, by the motherboard, the location of the cpu, gpu, slim or big pc case all can be something to consider before buying or else GPU won't fit and can't be installed.

Also using my current GPU "2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960" with the new GPU is not helping so I should not consider using 2 GPUs is what I read.
I have no idea if that's true. I'm sure everybody thought about buying cheaper 2 or 3 low quality gpus.

I wish I could understand which graphics card is good like knowing what external drives have how much space. Easy to understand, it's written in numbers.

Graphics card however seems like many things matters so it's difficult to know. I was thinking it's the "12GB" written is always better than "2GB" written.
but then I found AMD graphics card being "12GB" and cheaper than NVIDIA "4 or 6GB". Don't remember correctly but was something like that.
Makes me wonder if the GB really matters seeing that price. Maybe AMD is cheaper or but it's too cheap. Maybe used ?

The GPU prices have lowered back to it's original price ever since the bitcoin miners have bought too many, making the GPU go 3 times higher.
So seems like a good time to buy one.

I bought a better cpu cause I thought I wouldn't be gaming that much. But I eventually played lot of games.
I'm thinking cpu is for moving many numbers or files faster and large files faster. Also does help for gaming.
I don't even have an idea how good my cpu is. I just think it's better than average i5's.

I didn't have much problem playing games with this GPU. Though many had to be lowered to medium or lower settings. Sometimes slow. Can't record the gameplay for high requirement games.

I use the biggest monitor.

1920 x 1080 60Hz

Hz so 60 frame per seconds is the best I can get no matter how good my graphics card will be changed into ?

I have to change my monitor as well If I want higher FPS ?

I watch 4k videos on youtube a lot. Like walking tours. Even with my monitor that has said to be 1080p, it still looks lot better and super real like looking at the real thing with my own eyes if I were to watch a 1440p or 4k setted youtube videos.
(Strangely my pc is using a lot of my CPU , like 80%, 90%. While for GPU is like only 30%. So eventually for some videos sized large as 11GB would eventually freeze my PC. and I have to turn the pc off by pressing the power button.
Some 4k videos run fine though.) While playing video games however my GPU is being used nicely and have no problem.
I'm thinking there is some error going on that when watching 4k videos, unlike when playing games, my GPU won't work nicely ? Why only 30% when watching a 4k 11GB video ?

This also happens for video gameplays. If I watch a 1080p video it looks good and same as my monitor, however if I were to watch a 4k gameplay (not sure if really recorded with a 4k TV that is as big as an adult body would fit in) it looks
so good it looks "exactly as when I actually play the game." So yes, there is a difference between 1080p and 4k even with my monitor.
Makes me think if it is possble to record in 4k even with my 1080p monitor. If not that means others actually recorded their huge TV while playing the gameplay.

I'm not obsessed about extreme settings in video games but obviously it would be good to have a better pc. Would be nice to be able to record while playing with at least high settings.
I'm thinking about spending about 300~400$ for GPU.

Since my GPU is gonna be better, it will need more power. So I'll need to buy a new power supply as well.
What power supply should I buy ? I'm guessing I just need to know the wattage and buy that.

The monitor though, I need a monitor for 4k videos for realistic impression and gaming probably meaning needs FPS ?
My monitor already seems good enough though I want to know what should I buy if I were to improve further without spending too much.

Maybe purchase more RAM too ?

Ok, we need to organize the questions a bit better:

• Upgrade/replace:
    • I'd recommend replacing the existing machine entirely. Sure you can buy a new GPU (and possibly PSU), but you'd still be "stuck" with an 8 year old CPU. Getting a better CPU requires a new mobo and different RAM.
    • What country are you shopping in
    • What is your upgrade budget
    • Are you looking for a pre-built machine, or are you assembling the individual components yourself?
  • Monitor:
    • What monitor (brand, model#, size, resolution, refresh rate) do you currently have? Currently you've said 1920x1080 @ 60Hz, and size is "the biggest".
      • Size and resolution are different things. Size is typically measured in inches diagonally across the panel. Resolution is how many pixels there are. For example, you can buy a 24" 3840x2160 (4K) monitor, but you can also buy a 32" 1920x1080 (FHD) monitor.
      • Yes, a 60Hz monitor will only display 60FPS to your eyes.

• Video vs Gameplay
    • Games are generally more graphically demanding than videos. GPU usage % is what you want to measure this by. CPU usage % is typically reported as # loaded threads / # total threads, so if a game isn't/can't use all available CPU threads, it will never/rarely report 100% CPU usage. The CPU can still be limiting performance if it's at <100% usage. Much more to explain, but leave it there for now.
    • Depending on the video format and availability of GPU HW encoding, a video file may be using software (CPU) encoding, which would impart a higher CPU load.
  • Gameplay recording
    • You don't physically record your screen with a video camera. You use software to "capture" the gameplay.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2022
Replace the entire machine ? Like throw my entire pc away and buy a new one ?
Isn't my CPU at least a very good one ?

I'm in Japan.

Upgrade budget for GPU is 300~400$.
Not sure for others. I'm mostly trying to upgrade my GPU. For my monitor I would probably pay the same 300~400$ if I decide to buy one.
I'm not sure if I'll buy the monitor yet.

I can't build a pc on my own. I think I can at least change the GPU though.

I don't remember the monitor but I think it's 32 inch 1920x1080 (FHD) monitor.

Monitor looks like this curved and same size.
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-S3222HN-32-inch-Curvature-Response/dp/B09DYVJS9Z/ref=sr_1_10?crid=2V9FNMIQCYJZQ&keywords=32+inch+FHD+monitor&qid=1656517032&s=electronics&sprefix=32+inch+fhd+moni,electronics,870&sr=1-10&th=1

OH ! So using the old pc like my old CPU and buying a new GPU might just cause like damage to my new GPU or some problem ?

It would certainly cost more if I were to buy an entire pc but I guess it's risky ?

Yeah I know, I record video gameplay with OBS. Openbroadcastsoftware. but it gets laggy if I start recording cause my GPU is not good enough to do both at the same time.

Last edited:
Isn't my CPU at least a very good one ?
It was, 8 years ago. Nowadays, it would be matched/beaten by an i3-10100 or Ryzen 2600X (somewhere around 105FPS in the chart below):
6gCtaMLLY2evVRZfRprisE-970-80.png.webp

Can we get some more info on the PSU you have? Brand/model#/wattage?

I think your budget is probably going to max you out at a 144Hz 2560x1440p monitor, so here's some GPU benchmark data to help you decide what to go for there:
zsNNYFXTgLGxx5iHeeD89F-970-80.png.webp

What online retailers could/would you be shopping on?

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2022
I don't remember my power supply unit information. It was cheap. 16$ or max 30$ something.
Probably max 500 wattage.

I had no idea i7 can be worst than i3. So things aren't easy as just high numbers better.

I would shop online anywhere. I don't have like a place I have to shop at.

I don't remember my power supply unit information. It was cheap. 16$ or max 30$ something.
Probably max 500 wattage.
Definitely get a new/better PSU then.

I had no idea i7 can be worst than i3. So things aren't easy as just high numbers better.
The i3-10100 is 4 cores / 8 threads like the i7-4790K but also has years worth of IPC improvements.

I would shop online anywhere. I don't have like a place I have to shop at.
Unless you or someone else has better suggestions, I'd be using PCPP to generate recommendations, which seems to be limited to Newegg Japan:

If we're going to select you a new GPU, can you provide any additional info on your case? A photo even? We need to check GPU length and width compatibility.

1. Your i7-4790K can play games.
  2. As shown in the chart above, an i7-4790K may prevent a given GPU from reaching its "full" potential. There are some caveats to this. First, the CPU chart above is tested in select games that result in significant FPS differences between various CPUs. Some games scale very little between the "fastest" and "slowest" CPUs (within reason). Also, you'll see less performance difference as you increase resolution and/or quality settings since that increases the GPU load. Since there's so many CPU+GPU+Game+Resolution+Quality Setting combinations, it's difficult to say exactly what your specific improvements will be from a CPU upgrade.
  3. About 9 months ago I upgraded from an OC'd i7-3770 to a Ryzen 5600G and my FPS (using the same GPU) increased about 1.5x in the couple games I tested.
  4. A GPU upgrade can/will still improve your FPS compared to your existing GTX960 2GB, even when paired with a 4790K.
  5. Buying a GPU and PSU now can still be transferred to a new CPU+mobo+RAM later on.
BTW, 16GB of system RAM in your current machine is fine. No need to buy more.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would probably just get a new GPU and Power Supply and see how it goes. RTX3050 is going to be a huge leap forward compared to a GTX960 2GB Not like you can't buy a new CPU/Motherboard/RAM/Storage later.

Really depends on the games you play. Modern multiplayer titles will be a little slowed down by the older CPU, but it has 8 threads at least, which is more than a lot of gamers have. (older i5s)

Jun 26, 2022
BTW, 16GB of system RAM in your current machine is fine. No need to buy more.
OP said that the RAM was at 800MHz, even though is 16gb. It would not be a question of buying MORE as 16gb is fine, it would be a question of buying RAM that is FASTER. Simply because 800MHz RAM will definitely be a bottleneck with the CPUs and GPUs you guys are talking about
The i3-10100 is 4 cores / 8 threads like the i7-4790K but also has years worth of IPC improvements.
RTX3050 is going to be a huge leap forward compared to a GTX960 2GB Not like you can't buy a new CPU/Motherboard/RAM/Storage later.
Any newer CPU like the i3-10300 will be running way faster than the 800MHz RAM can keep up with, and that will be the bottleneck in your system with a 30 series card, even at 1440p.

OP said that the RAM was at 800MHz, even though is 16gb. It would not be a question of buying MORE as 16gb is fine, it would be a question of buying RAM that is FASTER. Simply because 800MHz RAM will definitely be a bottleneck with the CPUs and GPUs you guys are talking about
It's DD3-1600, which would report as 800MHz.

Any newer CPU like the i3-10300 will be running way faster than the 800MHz RAM can keep up with, and that will be the bottleneck in your system with a 30 series card, even at 1440p.
Not to mention DDR3 in the existing system wouldn't be compatible at all.

Swedish Pagan

Prominent
Aug 28, 2020
First of all, you need a big tower with plenty of big fans to cool the entire PC! That tower on the image has to less and to small fans to keep the components cool. You need 160-200 mm fans at front, top and side. Have a big Cooler Master HAF with 3 200 mm and place for 2 140 mm fans. Look at Cooler Master HAF 500 and you see how I mean. Important to have a good PSU! Get a +80 silver (only 20% of the PSU W is turned to waste heat). A ordinary PSU is wasting 50% of the PSU W as heat into the case. Google it for more info. Good luck!

Since my cpu is too old and bad I guess I should just buy a new pc after all like you suggested.
Thank you so much for helping.
no your cpu is still doable it wont be bleeding edge but you can still fill the screen with 60 fps in a lot of games

amd6600 is my suggestion after a new psu
the jump price performance difference between a 3050 and 3060 makes the 3050 a bad buy.

the 4790k still has game in it if you dont need the best... your HD screen with a normal refresh rate can be handled by your current setup with a 6600

sherhi

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2015
no your cpu is still doable it wont be bleeding edge but you can still fill the screen with 60 fps in a lot of games

amd6600 is my suggestion after a new psu
the jump price performance difference between a 3050 and 3060 makes the 3050 a bad buy.

the 4790k still has game in it if you dont need the best... your HD screen with a normal refresh rate can be handled by your current setup with a 6600

I have the same CPU, based on Bottlenecking Chart Rev 2.0 Intel I found here (I think it was done for 1440p so playing on 1080p should give more headroom?) some bottlenecking begins with GPU of power lvl of 1080 Ti which is around 3060, 6600 and 6600 XT or 6650 XT (https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1080-ti.c2877) am I looking at this correctly?

Last edited: