[SOLVED] Need a hint on a new GPU and PSU

Mar 2, 2019
Dear community,

I am considering buying myself a new GPU along with a new power supply. Can you guys give me a good hint? This is my current rig:
  • Asrock X370 Killer SLI Mainboard
  • AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
  • Gigabyte GeForce G1 GAMING GTX 960 4GB
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)
  • Cooler Master G550M, 550W PSU

Since I have a 144Hz 1440p monitor, I was considering this GPU:
Do you think the choice of the new GPU is adequate? I know I will also have to buy a new PSU, the question is, how strong should it be? I am not a professional in this field ^^

Thanks for all your help!

Solution
I was thinking of at least 650W as well, however, you state that the new GPU will require 250W, but on the website it says 650W for the GPU. Is that number on Amazon an overall one for the whole system?

the 650 is the suggested PSU by the card make number.
some 650 units may only have 500W available so the makers choose a higher number than actually needed for the recommendation.
it is a guess they do not have all the variables but its usually a safe guess to go by.
the draw at peak may warrant a 750W unit, the PSU is the most efficient around 50% capacity but most of the time the system will be drawing under 200W, only when under a heavy load will the power draw increase. if you spends hours a day at a high load get the larger...
Mar 2, 2019
GPU 250W
CPU 105W
everything else 100W
455W maximum draw add another35-50% for overhead
650W or better
seasonic focus gold/titanium/platinum
EVGA supernova G2/G3 series
Corsair RMx
Superflower LeadexIII

all are much higher build quality than the Coolermaster unit in there now
I was thinking of at least 650W as well, however, you state that the new GPU will require 250W, but on the website it says 650W for the GPU. Is that number on Amazon an overall one for the whole system?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

the 650 is the suggested PSU by the card make number.
some 650 units may only have 500W available so the makers choose a higher number than actually needed for the recommendation.
it is a guess they do not have all the variables but its usually a safe guess to go by.
the draw at peak may warrant a 750W unit, the PSU is the most efficient around 50% capacity but most of the time the system will be drawing under 200W, only when under a heavy load will the power draw increase. if you spends hours a day at a high load get the larger more efficient unit. if high loads are not the purpose a quality 650 unit like the ones named above will do the job for the next 7-10 years. the warranty length of each.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS