[SOLVED] Need a hub and KVM switch for a laptop and desktop.

cpupro8698

Honorable
Nov 14, 2014
Hi all,

I have the below equipment:

• a laptop [Windows 10]
  • a desktop PC [Windows 10]
  • a keyboard
  • a mouse
  • 2 monitors
I want to be able to use the same keyboard, mouse and 2 monitors with the laptop alone or with the pc alone, and I want to avoid having to unplug and replug cables etc. each time I want to use the laptop alone or pc alone.

I think I need both a hub and a KVM switch to support the above. Maybe there is one piece of equipment that can solve the above task?

I therefore want to know if you can help me to get a list of equipment that I will need to buy to enable the above to happen. Perhaps you can send me some amazon links or other online links for the equipment. I am on a budget so if there is a lower cost brand, then I will go with that option instead of a higher cost brand.

Pictures attached are a visual guide of the equipment that I have. Please pay attention to the specific inputs available on the laptop and the keyboard. I have also attached examples of a hub and KVM switch.

Internet/Ethernet is not required so you don't need to account for this.

https://ibb.co/D4LBsbB
https://ibb.co/mXzBJNg

Thanks!
Emma

Last edited:
Solution
Just search for dual monitor KVM switch. Amazon sells them and there are a ton of options. The dock that you uploaded has multiple types of outputs. KVM is usually pretty particular of sticking with one monitor input style (ie HDMI DVI or Displayport). So you might have to do some adapter work to get them all back to one format. Expect to spend around 150-200 USD for one that is going to push all of your input needs. Depending on how much you spend some will have remotes, some will use hotkeys to switch inputs. Both have worked well for me in the past. As far as brands go this is all kind of niche stuff so don't expect to find a Sony sticker on any of them.

Ralston18

Titan

jasonf2

Distinguished
Just search for dual monitor KVM switch. Amazon sells them and there are a ton of options. The dock that you uploaded has multiple types of outputs. KVM is usually pretty particular of sticking with one monitor input style (ie HDMI DVI or Displayport). So you might have to do some adapter work to get them all back to one format. Expect to spend around 150-200 USD for one that is going to push all of your input needs. Depending on how much you spend some will have remotes, some will use hotkeys to switch inputs. Both have worked well for me in the past. As far as brands go this is all kind of niche stuff so don't expect to find a Sony sticker on any of them.

Solution