Need A Job? Bethesda Hiring for "Future Gen"

Status
Not open for further replies.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
not to complain but this is why so many tech positions go unfilled each year. I have a degree in software engineering but I cant get a job doing it because everyone wants someone with 10 years experience.

unionoob

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]not to complain but this is why so many tech positions go unfilled each year. I have a degree in software engineering but I cant get a job doing it because everyone wants someone with 10 years experience.[/citation]
Well, sorry but if you are really intrested in industry you already would be doing something like developing your own projects or creating mods for games.

And now you really can't say its hard to do, you already got some nice free game engines to start with like Unreal Development kit. so.. now telling its impossible / hard to get experience is wrong.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]not to complain but this is why so many tech positions go unfilled each year. I have a degree in software engineering but I cant get a job doing it because everyone wants someone with 10 years experience.[/citation]

this is why "triple A" game companies are also turning out bigger piles of s--t every year , no big name companies (and few small companies) bring in flesh blood any more. every one requires 2 to 5 to 10 years of exprience and guess what , THE TALENT POOL IN COMPANIES STAGNATES LIKE THIS !!!!

i'm in school for game art design and i can just see it now , me having hell gettinga job becasue all tehse companies don't give acrap about fresh ideas or hiring fresh minds into the buisness.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
oh and on another note since the other article is old now , i'd like to add here , i hope to GOD a fallout MMO is NEVER DONE , why you ask because mmo's are a death nail to there ever being another great single player version of teh game , Look at blizzard and WoW , we never got a warcraft 4 because blizzard turned it intoa sh-tty MMO.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

Is this also the case with much smaller, Indie developers? I don't know much about game development from an insider's perspective, but I couldn't imagine getting a degree and landing my first professional gig with Bioware, for instance. Baby steps, man. Baby steps.

unionoob

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
[citation][nom]Antimatter79[/nom]Is this also the case with much smaller, Indie developers? I don't know much about game development from an insider's perspective, but I couldn't imagine getting a degree and landing my first professional gig with Bioware, for instance. Baby steps, man. Baby steps.[/citation]

that's a problem now, people finish there schools and think they should get best jobs out there and fat pay check...

Many developers started working from 0, as testers, as independent developers, modders.

If you want to work in an big company like Bethesda then do all to get there interest in you, prove you worth something not only your useless uni paper.

G

Baby Steps? Some are lucky to get a job at these companies without baby steps.

What you don't understand is that the longer you go without using your skills (taking baby steps), the faster you will forget fundamental things about software engineering.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]net1024[/nom]Baby Steps? Some are lucky to get a job at these companies without baby steps. What you don't understand is that the longer you go without using your skills (taking baby steps), the faster you will forget fundamental things about software engineering.[/citation]

That I do understand. There are countless scores of people at my job with CS and Software Engineering degrees that have forgotten 99% of what they learned in college. However, at some point, can't an aspiring young college grad decide maybe he should strike out on his own, and start his own indie company? I don't know about other gaming outlets, but Steam sure seems to show lots of love to Indie Developers, and whether the games are financially successful or not, you're gaining experience and building a portfolio. I would be all for hiring young kids fresh out of school to give them their first big break, but at the same time, a business must rely on having some proven talent and experience as well. It's the catch 22 of professional employment, unfortunately.

Jarmo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]edvinasm[/nom]Better be something like Fallout 3. Have no appeal for the likes of Skyrim at all. Loved fallout and the whole scavenging business[/citation]

You didn't notice the games were almost exactly the same?

Oh well, anybody willing to bet for Beth not making Fallout 4 and Elder Scrolls 6? Any takers?

sa1nt

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]oh and on another note since the other article is old now , i'd like to add here , i hope to GOD a fallout MMO is NEVER DONE , why you ask because mmo's are a death nail to there ever being another great single player version of teh game , Look at blizzard and WoW , we never got a warcraft 4 because blizzard turned it intoa sh-tty MMO.[/citation]

Its a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll :)

pizzamanskyrim

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
And they confirmed they are making a Fallout 4 (unknown release date), and Fallout Online, Fallout Online release date is: NOVEMBER 11, 2012 (yes exactly a year after Skyrim's release)

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]not to complain but this is why so many tech positions go unfilled each year. I have a degree in software engineering but I cant get a job doing it because everyone wants someone with 10 years experience.[/citation]Internshhips.......

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Bethesda was my last bastion of single player RPG (besides the jrpgs). If they go MMO, then I'm out. If I game with others it is usually something a little more shortterm and no recurring fee like SC2.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]unionoob[/nom]that's a problem now, people finish there schools and think they should get best jobs out there and fat pay check...Many developers started working from 0, as testers, as independent developers, modders.If you want to work in an big company like Bethesda then do all to get there interest in you, prove you worth something not only your useless uni paper.[/citation]

You would be a great adviser for my parents. They have a mentality of "Universities and businesses only care about what's on your paper such as GPA, ACT, SAT and what university you attended, not what activities or projects you did other than studying."

Status
Not open for further replies.