Question Need a little help on buying new gpu

Feb 15, 2019
Ok so i got an Msi Rx560 from a friend to test it. In gpuz i see that under full load power consumption is no higher than 55w because of board limit, while reccomendation is 75w. So can i get the performance this card has to offer or not? If not maybe i could get a sapphire pulse version or Gigabytes version on this card and give them extra power with a 6pin...? Thanks

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Most non 6-pin RX 560s are 60W (TDP) cards. So 55W would not be out of bounds. Which RX-560 do you have?

But yes, a factory OC'ed RX 560 like the SAPPHIRE Pulse Radeon RX560 can demand 75W to 90W depending on the model and the load it is under. That's why they require an auxillary +12V power surce besides the slot power. Performance will increase a bit since the card is OC'ed.

Feb 15, 2019
It's Msi Aero ITX Radeon RX560 4Gb OC. It's a non 6 pin and i see in gpu z that "board power limit" is 48W, so i am worried if card is getting enough power.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Motherbord is gigabyte ga m720 us3

Here is the screenshot:

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/19/02/17/c4r.png
I went thru all my older machines and none of them show that "board power limit" in GPU-Z. I don't even know how GPU-Z would know what the board power limit is.
Besides that, your motherboard has an industry standard PCI Express X16 slot rated at 75W. Industry specs state: "A full-sized ×16 graphics card may draw up to 5.5 A at +12 V (66 W) and 75 W combined after initialization and software configuration as a "high power device".
I would consider that a nonsense spec generated by GPU-Z and ignore it, myself. If you want, jump over to the GPU-Z Support Forum and ask why the pgm is reporting that.

GPU-Z might be reading that due to the system being at idle. Run something like Furmark to load the GPU and check GPU-Z again while under max load.

Note: That card is only using the first 8 lanes of the PCIe x16 slot. That may have something to do with the odd reading, but the full 75W capacity should be available to it.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019
I've seen people post about that power limit in gpu-z but it's seems that it doesnt mean anything. I increased Gpu power limit in MSI afterburner by +20% of default.(default is slider on the middle, there i got 52W max power reading). And that let a card draw more power. I took a screenshot when it was at 52W it varies from 40W to 75W. These are gpu-z readings now with a stress test in MSI Kombustor.

https://prnt.sc/mmfer4

Last edited: