[SOLVED] Need a M.2 Recommendation

amulsingh01

Reputable
May 29, 2016
I might return this new SATA SSD I bought (Samsung 860 Evo 500Gb) because I realized that I could get a m.2 at a similar price point of around $60. What are some good recommendations of 500gb m.2 SSDs from reliable brands since there seem to be so many options? Thanks for the feedback.

Solution
I have several SATA III SSDs and one nvme m.2 SSD in my current PC.
The SATA III SSD's are 3x Crucial MX500 500GB SSDs, 1 Crucial MX500 1 TB SSD and 1x Crucial MX500 m.2 SATA II SSD and 3 HDDs that I use for backing up data.
My m.2 nvme SSD is a Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB SSD (as my boot/windows10 drive).
I just bought the 970 EVO in October.
While I don't regret the purchase, I can say that it really has not made a noticeable difference in everyday performance.

So IMO, if you are happy with the performance of your PC with a conventional 2.5" SSD (like the 860 EVO), there is no real world benefit to buying an nvme SSD to replace it.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I have several SATA III SSDs and one nvme m.2 SSD in my current PC.
The SATA III SSD's are 3x Crucial MX500 500GB SSDs, 1 Crucial MX500 1 TB SSD and 1x Crucial MX500 m.2 SATA II SSD and 3 HDDs that I use for backing up data.
My m.2 nvme SSD is a Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB SSD (as my boot/windows10 drive).
I just bought the 970 EVO in October.
While I don't regret the purchase, I can say that it really has not made a noticeable difference in everyday performance.

So IMO, if you are happy with the performance of your PC with a conventional 2.5" SSD (like the 860 EVO), there is no real world benefit to buying an nvme SSD to replace it.

Solution

Stewart_2

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2015
Regards speed I agree with Dman there is hardly any difference between a good SSD (samsung EVO crucial MX) and NVME M.2 at the MOMENT. YOur board has PCI4 but currently there is little if any advantage until we see Pci4 components. I used to always get Samsung EVOs but now I buy the Crucual MX SSD range. Advantage of M.2 is one less SATA used and thats about it.