Need a Motherboard for Intel processor

ebhendra

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
Hi,
I have an Intel D930 3.0ghz processor and Intel D945 Motherboard with 3gb ddr2 ram.but recently, my motherbaord got an external damage and thus not working anymore.I contacted intel and they told that such motherboards and processors are not available in market anymore. So, now i need a motherboard which supports my processor.It should have a high cache memory.Please suggest me a compatible motherboard as soon as possible.

Regards,
A.R.Ebhendra.

b1naryatr0phy

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
Unfortunately there aren't a huge amount that support Pentium D processors. This one is decent though: Intel BOXDG965WHMKR LGA 775 Intel G965 Express ATX Costs a little over $100.

I guess I don't know what you mean by 'high cache memory' your processor is what has the memory cache.

Most recent motherboards with Socket 775 will work. Here's a link to search for all Asus motherboards that will work: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us. You can perform the same search with most motherboards manufacturers.

b1naryatr0phy

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
Most recent motherboards
with Socket 775 will work. Here's a link to search for all Asus motherboards that will work: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport [...] age=en-us. You can perform the same search with most motherboards manufacturers.

Be careful though because not all of these motherboards will be compatible out of the box. Their BIOS may or may not need to be flashed before it will recognize this CPU. And if you purchase one that requires flashing beforehand, you'd be stuck buying another CPU that works with the given BIOS version.

For example, my Asus Rampage Extreme came with BIOS 0301, now if i would have bought the Pentium Dual Core E5200 to go with it I would been screwed because this requires BIOS 0404. So I would have needed to buy a compatible CPU, then flash(update) BIOS to 0404 or above, before it would have recognized that CPU.

And also, ghislaing a lot of those you see are like he said, no longer in production.

I'm also seeing a lot of Micro ATX boards, which generally you'll want to avoid.

You don't need an older G965. Since you're looking for a motherboard that has onboard video, you could buy a G31, G33 or G35 based motherboard. They're better and faster than the old G965. Here's a short list of Asus motherboards that will work (double-check compatibility with a D930 on their site).

G31 - P5KPL-VM
G33 - P5K-V and P5K-VM
G35 - P5E-VM SE, P5E-V HDMI and P5E-VM HDMI

Why do you absolutely want a G965 motherboard? Your processor's Package Type is LGA775, therefore the motherboards that I listed will work just fine (as will most new socket LGA775 motherboards). Why are you referring to the 478 socket? That's for a previous generation of P4 processors. Ignore the reply you got from Intel as it doesn't make sense at all.

If you absolutely want a G965 chipset motherboard, try eBay. If I were you I'd definitely take the oportunity to buy a better and more recent motherboard.