Need a motherboard that is compatible with Win XP

DHFF

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
Hello, I am cloning an old machine onto some new hardware and I need a Motherboard that is compatible with XP. I Know the Intel 1155 boards work but I cant find any of those around any more. I would prefer not to buy used parts. I don’t mind Using AMD but I am not familiar with which boards work with what OS.

Alternatively, if anyone knows how to modify an Intel 1150 board to accept an XP OS, that would work too.

Thanks in advance.

Solution

Win 7 is ending support in 2020 already so no point going there. Win 10 is the way to go.

If he doesn't want to change then put him at a deadlock. Either upgrade to a new platform that is safe and willingly. Or keep using the old until it dies and he looses everything and ends up being forced to the new thing.

Windows xp is really not a safe os to use anymore at all when going online. If someone wanted they can get all his personal...

Nothing produced past 2014 will work with windows xp. Also why do you need a new platform for xp? Do you need the processing power of a i7 3770 for something?

DHFF

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
The hardware he is on is like 15 years old and failing, so I wanted to get him on some modern hardware. I know I wont need an i7 or the like to run XP, I am sure a modern day pentium will do fine.

I tried to talk him into migrating to Win 7 but he is adamant about keeping his system the way it is.

Tell him to do it himself then, he's exposing himself to security risks (that you'll get involved in fixing even he even knows he's been hit), there is no new hardware, it will be second hand.

There's no modifying the board, it's just no-one has written the drivers for it.

Win 7 is ending support in 2020 already so no point going there. Win 10 is the way to go.

If he doesn't want to change then put him at a deadlock. Either upgrade to a new platform that is safe and willingly. Or keep using the old until it dies and he looses everything and ends up being forced to the new thing.

Windows xp is really not a safe os to use anymore at all when going online. If someone wanted they can get all his personal information, bank accounts,... in a instant without a problem due to all the issue with xp.

Solution

DHFF

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
Thanks for the advice, I think I will just devote my energy to convincing him to upgrade to 7. Moving to 10 is not an option. It is incompatible with many of the applications he is using. We will deal with the lack of support in a few years. Right now it will be an uphill battle to get him to move to 7.

one step at a time.

Just make sure that the new hardware supports windows 7 as the new stuff also doesn't support that.

windreamer

Honorable
Nov 27, 2017
The brand new EVGA X299 Dark motherboard for HEDT officially supports Windows XP. You don't have to believe me; just visit https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=151-SX-E299-KR and see the Features at the bottom of the Overview tab and the Specs tab. Your customer can have his cake and eat it too with a relatively future-proof machine running XP! Windows XP is not as unsafe as people make it out to be even if you connect to the internet with it if you have a properly configured firewall and use an ad-blocker in-browser. XP could even get Meltdown/Spectre patches from Embedded POSReady 2009 since the latter is basically just another variant of XP that's still supported into spring 2019. Hope this helps anyone who reads it.

TRENDING THREADS