Question Need a new Air cooler

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
OK .. messed up
Had purchase an Artic Freezer III 360 but compatibility issues means I will need to move to an Air Cooler.
I have no intent to overclock - it's a Ryzen 9 7900X, but if I did it would be mild overclocking not flat out, so Air cooler should be fine.

I looked at the compatibility list for my Motherboard - Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master each of the air coolers listed below is stated as compatible.
Case is Fractal Design Define 7 so no issues with maximum height.

Came to a short list based on Top 10 reviews etc ... any advice which to get (or not to get) ? I do not want any RGB lights

BeQuietDark Rock Pro 5
Deep CoolAK620 zero Dark
NoctuaNH-D15 G2
ThermalrightPeerless Assassin
ThermalrightPhantom Spirit

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Had purchase an Artic Freezer III 360 but compatibility issues means I will need to move to an Air Cooler.
Not to question your judgement but can you elaborate on what you mean by compatibility issues? You should be able to populate the front or the top with the 360 AIO, unless your rams are too tall for the AIO to go into the case.

Fractal have a number of variants in the Define 7 range, which one do you have?

Noctua is mostly a brand name thing. They are slightly better in a some reviews but the price increase makes it hard to justify.

Most modern air coolers have no issue keeping current cpu well under their throttle limit temps. Maybe 14900k with overclock setting requires a water cooler.

Not sure is any of the better coolers are much different. The top ones tend to be the top one in all reviews. Sometimes how they test might make a difference.
A extremely popular one that you do not have on your list is the thermalright peerless assassin. It is much cheaper than almost every other cooler and it is rated near the top of the air cooler list.

I suspect it will come down to personal preference.

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
Not to question your judgement but can you elaborate on what you mean by compatibility issues? You should be able to populate the front or the top with the 360 AIO, unless your rams are too tall for the AIO to go into the case.

Fractal have a number of variants in the Define 7 range, which one do you have?

Fractal Define 7 Mid Tower Gaming Case - Black​
Code# CAS3897 Mfg# FD-C-DEF7A-01​

The compatibility is that my requirements include fitting an Optical drive (BlueRay/DVD rw)
Case was bought as it support an ODD front fitted .... however this is blocked when you use a cooler radiator on the top of case.
So moving back to an air cooler.
Asa no overclocking planned - should be fine.

7900X does not need extra cooling.
Noctua maintains a list of their air coolers suitable for a 7900x:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/AMD-Ryzen-9-7900X-1635

Any of the coolers on your list should be ok.

What is the make/model of your ram?
Big air coolers will often have issues with tall ram heat spreaders.Low profile 33mm ram should be ok with any of them.
Taller and the front fan may need to be reduced in size.

TRENDING THREADS