Need a New AMD CPU

sparta436

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Hey guys! I'm new to the forums so forgive me if I'm posting wrong or something.
I'm running an AMD Phenom II X4 940t that came in my computer. This would normally be fine but I need a little bit more processing power in my rig for games like DayZ and Skyrim (with mods of course).
With AMD cpus price is never a problem for me because theyre so affordable, so dont worry about price if you have any reccomendations. I'm asking because i was going to buy a bulldozer but i heard that bulldozer and AMDs new FX line are total and utter crap. But i still want to be able to overclock and i want to have the best processor possible so i dont have to upgrade very soon. I also dont want to wait for AMD piledriver.
What should I do?
Thanks
-George

Solution
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103935 would be better, and its cheaper than the 975 I normally recommend and usually is out of stock :)
but yes, the 965 is a decent enough chip, they are all on the same basic chip btw, its just the higher the model number, the better quality silicon it is,
just remember that with the one I linked, you will either need to re-use your current cooler, or buy an aftermarket heatsink (best option if you intend to Oc it anyhow
Moto

sparta436

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Heres the information CPUID is giving me under "motherboard". "Model: Aspire M3410", "manufacturer: Acer" "Chipset: AMD 880G" "southbridge: "AMD SB850"
"LPCIO: ITE, IT8721

The FX6xxx series don't have six cores, they are three Bulldozer modules,
and as Rolli says, they won't be supported on your mobo, a true quadcore like the PII's will be able to beat the BD offerings quite often and easily, and they overclock well, which is why PII chips have been disappearing like ninja recently, they are the best gaming chips on the amd side at the moment
Moto

sparta436

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
yes rolli thats my computer. I guess i'll get a phenom II six core then. i just dont understand why amd would release a new product that is inferior to their old cpus.

sparta436

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012

this should be good then, correct?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103935 would be better, and its cheaper than the 975 I normally recommend and usually is out of stock :)
but yes, the 965 is a decent enough chip, they are all on the same basic chip btw, its just the higher the model number, the better quality silicon it is,
just remember that with the one I linked, you will either need to re-use your current cooler, or buy an aftermarket heatsink (best option if you intend to Oc it anyhow
Moto

Solution

sparta436

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
it says the 980 is OEM. does that not mean that it is meant to replace a faulty chip in a computer that has all its original parts from an OEM manufacturer? will i be able to take out my old chip, put in the 980, and not have to do anything extra?

No, the 980 would have gone into a prebuilt like Dell or HP, not released to the general public, as they have been superceded people are obviously now trying to get rid of stock, hence the release to retailers like newegg
and the Hyper 212 should be under $30, its a good cooler for the money,
Moto

I still have my old x3 435 (unlocked and clocked ofc) and the other half has a twin system, built this one to sell but BD hurt me hehe,
Should have built a 2500k rig hehe then it would've sold
:p
Moto