[SOLVED] Need a new cable for an HP USB C Dock G4

Mar 8, 2021
I've got an HP USB C Dock G4 docking station. A while ago the USB C cable that connects the laptop with the docking station (USB C on both sides) got damaged (no way of repairing it).
I've posted a very similar question on the official HP support forums and haven't gotten one single answer in over a year. I've also tried chatting with HP support where they just redirected me from one department to another, eventually leading to nothing. So I thought I'd ask here.

Anyway after this had happened I had no idea that there are so many different types of USB C cables so I just thought I'd buy one from any store. What's interesting is that whenever I mentioned a USB C cable in a store they immediately thought I'm looking for the ones used to charge your phone, or connect your phone with a computer (USB C on one side and regular USB on another). After I mention that I need a cable that's USB C on both sides the clerks usually get very confused. There was only one store that actually sold a cable like this and I, not knowing a lot about these cables (as I still don't), bought it. Naturally this didn't work. That is, connecting my docking station using this cable resulted in my docking station becoming a very expensive USB HUB since the only ports that worked were USBs - no power or HDMI.

I've searched for these cables over and over again and have never been able to find the one I need. It seems more and more to me that your 270 euro docking station is absolutely worthless if you lose/damage one single cable.

So my last resort is to ask here.

Does anyone know which exact cable I need and where I can buy it? I'm more interested in the 'where I can buy it part' because if you just give me the name I probably won't be able to find it anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
That's the problem, I need to be certain which one will work in my case, and also that it will not damage any of the devices, since I've heard that that can also happen with a wrong cable.

EDIT: It also says, in the HP manual:

so you can understand my skepticism.

I think your best bet is to call HP or try your luck with a cable off eBay. As I found a couple listings specifically for the USB C cable for the HP G4 Dock.
Here's one: https://www.ebay.de/itm/New-1M-USB-...351899?hash=item548ee0d41b:g:ggIAAOSwp3FdG4PL

If I look up the part number in the listing. It is just a cable made by Cables Direct...
Mar 8, 2021
That's the problem, I need to be certain which one will work in my case, and also that it will not damage any of the devices, since I've heard that that can also happen with a wrong cable.

NOTE:Connect the docking station to a computer using only this USB Type-C port and the included USB Type-C cable.

Last edited:

I think your best bet is to call HP or try your luck with a cable off eBay. As I found a couple listings specifically for the USB C cable for the HP G4 Dock.
Here's one: https://www.ebay.de/itm/New-1M-USB-...351899?hash=item548ee0d41b:g:ggIAAOSwp3FdG4PL

If I look up the part number in the listing. It is just a cable made by Cables Direct.
https://www.cablesdirect.co.uk/usb-...c725/usb-3-1-type-c-m-to-type-c-m-cable-p2795

As it is a 5A 20V cable. You may indeed need the specific one for your HP. As it may not recognize the E-Marker IC Chip in a standard 100W USB C cable.

If I was to try an off the shelf cable which doesn't specifically mention your dock. Given the current involved. I'd want one from a manufacturer with a good reputation in building high quality cables. But you'll notice there is a list of incompatible devices and devices which get limited charging speeds in the listing. So, there is a chance that HP is using their own spec for charging. Meaning only a cable specific to this dock will work for the docking port.hp
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Powerl...+100w+3.1&qid=1615216266&s=electronics&sr=1-3

Solution

TRENDING THREADS