[SOLVED] Need a new CPU for RTX 3080: Same mobo + 9900K // AM4 Mobo + 3700x or 3900x // LGA1200 Mobo + 10900K ?

Raven A

Honorable
Feb 2, 2015
I need a new CPU, as my trusty 6700K is unfortunately bottlenecking my new RTX 3080. However, I'm very much in dubio about which CPU to get. The obvious decision would be to stick with my current LGA 1151 socket (Asus z170 Pro gaming Aura), which is a very good motherboard that was more expensive than what I'd be willing to spend on a new motherboard. The best option with LGA 1151 socket is the i9 9900K. The other option is to switch my motherboard to a more "future proof" socket, like the AM4 or the LGA1200.

Then there is another doubt in that decision, do I go the intel route or the AMD route? I've always been an Intel guy, but AMD is obviously in an uprising. Buying a new AM4 motherboard plus a 3700x would set me back about the same as buying an i9 9900K.

Then there is the option of going "all out" with either a 3900x or a 10900K. Definitely more futureproof, but it may be overkill because the main thing I'm trying to do with this upgrade is alleviate the bottleneck in CPU heavy games, and I don't want to spend more than I have to. It should be noted though that I want to get into 4K video editing as well, which I stopped doing because my 6700K can't handle it.

What do you guys think?

System:
i7 6700K
RTX 3080
Corsair Vengeance 2x 8GB RAM (will be upgrading this to 32GB for Adobe Premiere Pro)
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
750W CX750M Corsair PSU
Single Radiator CPU watercooler (forgot the brand but it keeps my 6700K around 30 Idle and 60 under load. It has an AMD bracket too)

Solution
Your current motherboard, while the same 'socket' as the 9900K, maxes out support at a 7700K - Essentially the same as your 6700K.

Personally, I would wait for Ryzen 5000 to launch. They look like they'll be great performers AND value, so something like a Ryzen5 5600X. OR, the launch of 5000 should impact prior generation pricing (both AMD and Intel with any luck).

Hobby level 4K editing would be handled well by the Ryzen5 5600X. If it were more pro-level, I'd continue to lean towards Ryzen.

...I'd wait the week and see.

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
5900X, higher ST and MT performance with the same wattage as its predecessors, same temps and all. Would suggest 280 to 360mm rads though. Would probably stay away from air unless its the high high end ones and partner it up with a high grade paste such as TG Kryonaut thermal paste

ez gaming, ez 4k editing

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Your current motherboard, while the same 'socket' as the 9900K, maxes out support at a 7700K - Essentially the same as your 6700K.

Personally, I would wait for Ryzen 5000 to launch. They look like they'll be great performers AND value, so something like a Ryzen5 5600X. OR, the launch of 5000 should impact prior generation pricing (both AMD and Intel with any luck).

Hobby level 4K editing would be handled well by the Ryzen5 5600X. If it were more pro-level, I'd continue to lean towards Ryzen.

...I'd wait the week and see.

Solution

Raven A

Honorable
Feb 2, 2015
Wow, it's insights like these that I use this forum for. I had absolutely no idea not all LGA 1151's support the 9900K. Imagine the disappointmeant if I had bought that CPU (which I had almost done last week!) :sweatsmile:

And thanks to both of you for mentioning the 5000 series, I knew they were coming but I used a parts picker for the inspiration of this post and they weren't on there yet. Will all AM4 mobos support Ryzen 5000 or do I have to check for compatibility there as well? EDIT: nevermind, I found a compatibility list.

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
And thanks to both of you for mentioning the 5000 series, I knew they were coming but I used a parts picker for the inspiration of this post and they weren't on there yet. Will all AM4 mobos support Ryzen 5000 or do I have to check for compatibility there as well? EDIT: nevermind, I found a compatibility list.

Unfortunately, the likes of PCPartPicker etc won't update with the products until there is retailer availability.

In terms of support, some newer manufactured B550 and X570 supports will have the microcode required to 'boot' from the new 5000 chips out of the box.... but those are likely to be few & far between (plus a bit of luck required).

A smart option would be to opt for a B550 or X570 with support for updating the BIOS without a CPU installed.
Some ASUS boards have "USB BIOS Flashback" https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1142-How-to-use-ASUS-ROG-USB-BIOS-Flashback

Some Gigabyte/Aorus have "Q Flash Plus" https://www.aorus.com/blog/How-to-Update-Your-BIOS-Part-2.php

MSI has something similar, can't remember the name.... MFlash, maybe?

Not sure about ASRock.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah Msi calls it Flashback as well. If considering Ryzen 5000, id go for b550/x570 but maybe wait a bit on a board after the processors are released giving mobo partners a chance to re-release motherboards with bios support out of the box. Course you can use bios flash function without a cpu but maybe wait on that too, to avoid any possible firmware bugs that may arise.

This'll all happen pretty quickly within the next couple of weeks. Sit comfy and watch the show.