Mechman

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2002
hey, that rhymed!
anyway...

I ran into the unfortunate problem of having my grand old faithful Thunderbird 1.4 die to a horrible chipping death (and it was totally my fault). i bought one of those horribly huge heatsinks and put it on my cpu and the damn thing shifted so much...i dont know why i didnt just stay with the oem heatsink, my cpu was only at 53C on HOT days. anyway, now that the chips gone, (and will make a great keychain), im looking for a replacement.

what im looking for is NOT a totally "new" cpu (if anyone says "jump ship and go for intel" i will kill), im just looking for something that will tide me over untill i get my hands on a bright shiny new Hammer (and will work as a functional secondary computer after that). I have an ECS k7S5a (which i absolutly love), so i won't be able to overclock. What cpu should i shoot for? i'm mostly looking in the 100-200 range, which seems to cover about anything, but im going for the best at the cheapest.

the 2200+ is going for 140 on pricewatch...was that a stinker? like i said, im just looking for something to "tide me over"

thanks for yall's help!

slickstaa

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
since that ECS isn't exactly an overclocker, i'd say go with about an 1800+. That should tide you over just fine depending on the rest of your system.

<font color=blue> If it ain't broke, don't fix it...tweak it.</font color=blue>

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Since you don't want to overclock, the 1800. It is a good CPU and doesn't have the high core temp of the 2000 and 2200

In a world without <font color=red>walls </font color=red>or <font color=green>fences </font color=green>, what use have we for <font color=red>Windows </font color=red>or <font color=green>Gates.</font color=green>