Need a new graphics card and processor

wookiepawz

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
Hey guys and gals I have a bit of a Problem I need a graphics card and proccesor good enough to play Skyrim and borderlands 2 etc at at least low settings 20- 30 fps I'm on a bit of a budget as you can probably tell from my targeted
performance but would these two get me what I want

Graphics card

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SAPPHIRE-TECHNOLOGY-11192-11-20G-Sapphire-Graphics/dp/B005T4K9IA/ref=sr_1_41?ie=UTF8&qid=1361270393&sr=8-41

Proccesor http

://www.amazon.co.uk/SAPPHIRE-TECHNOLOGY-11192-11-20G-Sapphire-Graphics/dp/B005T4K9IA/ref=sr_1_41?ie=UTF8&qid=1361270393&sr=8-41

My current specs are

2.00 gb ram 32 bit win7

Intel (r) pentium (d) d cpu 2.80ghz

its also a old dell and I am willing to buy a new psu
thank you for your time and please help me!

swilczak

Distinguished
Those would work good for what you want but you would be better off going with a mid range card in the Radeon 7000 series, like the 7750. You can't use an AMD processor with an Intel motherboard. You probably have intel socket 775 so you would have to find out if your motherboard will support a better cpu like the core 2 duo or core 2 quad.

Im assuming you realize you will need a new motherboard and likely memory(Pentium D you have is likely DDR2) as well? Dell will likely not have a BIOS to support the core 2 duo quad cores. May I suggest you find a decent case with a power supply and do a total rebuild, maybe salvage the CD/DVD drive.

If your not wanting to do a full rebuild or cant due to budget you may think about just upgrading the graphics card for now.

wookiepawz

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013

do you think I will still be able to play borderlands 2 etc if i get a good graphics card?

If that CPU is the Pentium D 820 2.8GHz then no it likely wont help with Borderlands 2. Not sure exactly what CPU you have but the Pentium D 820 2.8GHz fits pretty close to what you posted(Its was released in 2005).

wookiepawz

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013

What cheap cpu would you suggest for a Dell ?

Most people who have built many custom gaming PC's don't have Dell's so if my assumption that you don't have much experience building PC's is wrong then ignore what I have to say.

Honestly I wouldn't upgrade the CPU in the Dell as it can be pretty complicated since the BIOS usually supports a very limited number of CPU's. You can do some digging on Dell support on BIOS updates for your model of PC and see if any CPU's are listed but I would suggest you don't try it.

Word of advice for your next PC, don't buy a Dell planning on upgrading it later. Buy a boutique / white box brand that uses standard off the shelf motherboards and power supplies like ibuyPower, Cyberpower, Falcon Northwest or build your own.

wookiepawz

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013

thanks for the advice I guess I made a big mistake with the dell I'm gonna buy a graphics card and just try to play the games I want to run