sean0coyle

Honorable
Aug 28, 2014
Hi guys,

I couldn't get my PC to work and removed the hard drive as error suggest that this was the problem, I bought a USB to SATA adapter cable and plugged it into my MacBook. Nothing appeared so I assume that this drive is dead...

Anyway I think I think a new drive and don't want to spend a lot of money on another one is there any suggestions of a good drive, I would like to get the PC running today so I was thinking of going somewhere local ( https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...-5-internal-hard-drive-1-tb-21651936-pdt.html )

Not really sure on buying a new drive what to look out for, I am a novice so to me the hard drive just stores the data so as long it has a lot of space on the drive I should be good to go? Obviously the more expensive ones will be faster etc but is it really much of a difference?

Also open to running SSD instead but never done this type of setup before so unsure on the logistics of it.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Solution
Photo should be on the bottom of that.
No SSD in my pc, do I need to run this along with a HDD or can you just have one or the other?
That error means, there's a problem with bootloader.
Could be bootloader corruption, could be also corrupted OS partition.
Anyway - it doesn't mean, your HDD is bad. Could be, could be not.

Your motherboard supports up to 4 sata storage devices. So you can have sata SSD and sata HDD. No problem.
Each sata drive requires sata data cable to motherboard and sata power connection to PSU. You may need to get additional sata data cable to use second drive.

I'd suggest getting at least 250GB sata SSD - crucial MX500 or Samsung 860 evo.
Connect SSD to your system,
disconnect HDD,
install windows,
only...
removed the hard drive as error suggest
What error? Can you be more specific? Screenshot of the error would be good.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
I bought a USB to SATA adapter cable and plugged it into my MacBook. Nothing appeared so I assume that this drive is dead...
Macs and windows pc-s use different file systems. It's possible your mac can't recognize your drive from pc.
Also open to running SSD instead but never done this type of setup before so unsure on the logistics of it.
If your pc doesn't have an SSD, then definitely get one.

Can you list full technical specs of your pc?
What capacity is your HDD, that you think is broken?

sean0coyle

Honorable
Aug 28, 2014
What error? Can you be more specific? Screenshot of the error would be good.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Can you list full technical specs of your pc?
What capacity is your HDD, that you think is broken?

I have my PC apart now and don't have a photo of the error, it was basically the portion on the drive wasn't showing up, it was connected I could see on BIOS and then disconnects after about 5 seconds of being in, I changed the leads and still no joy. I will leave a link to the forum I tried to get help for that on ( https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cant-delete-partition-see-details.3651199/ ) Photo should be on the bottom of that.

I must try and plug into my windows laptop here and see if that helps

No SSD in my pc, do I need to run this along with a HDD or can you just have one or the other?

CPU - AMD A8 6600K Quad Core Processor
Motherboard - MSI FM2-A55M-E33 uATX Motherboard
Graphics Card - AMD RADEON HD8570D
Hard drive - 1TB SEAGATE Barracuda 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive With 64MB Cache
RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM

jasonf2

Distinguished
If you are currently running a rust drive any SSD is going to be a major boost. With that chipset you are going to be needing a SATA drive. Any of them on the shelf at a big block will do. Your chipset is only supporting SATA 3 and more than likely the drive will list out at sata 6. They are backwards compatible, but if you run a benchmark and you don't get listed speeds your SATA controller is probably why. Regardless you will see major latency reduction on OS and program loads. As far as what drive to use I suggest going with a name brand. Personally I use Samsung. They have a decent mirroring utility and maintainer program and are price competitive. I would not get hung up on performance specs or getting the latest greatest because your rig is going to bottleneck pretty much any available SSD, not the other way around.

sean0coyle

Honorable
Aug 28, 2014
If you are currently running a rust drive any SSD is going to be a major boost. With that chipset you are going to be needing a SATA drive. Any of them on the shelf at a big block will do. Your chipset is only supporting SATA 3 and more than likely the drive will list out at sata 6. They are backwards compatible, but if you run a benchmark and you don't get listed speeds your SATA controller is probably why. Regardless you will see major latency reduction on OS and program loads. As far as what drive to use I suggest going with a name brand. Personally I use Samsung. They have a decent mirroring utility and maintainer program and are price competitive. I would not get hung up on performance specs or getting the latest greatest because your rig is going to bottleneck pretty much any available SSD, not the other way around.

Do I need to have a working HDD to run a SSD?

If I could get my PC running I could see how slow it is or if I need to upgrade components then I am happy to do so when running.

Photo should be on the bottom of that.

Your motherboard supports up to 4 sata storage devices. So you can have sata SSD and sata HDD. No problem.
Each sata drive requires sata data cable to motherboard and sata power connection to PSU. You may need to get additional sata data cable to use second drive.

disconnect HDD,
install windows,
only after that reconnect HDD.

Solution

sean0coyle

Honorable
Aug 28, 2014

disconnect HDD,
install windows,
only after that reconnect HDD.

Just ordered a Samsung 860 evo, should be here Wednesday.

I got my HDD drive connected up to my other laptop and it is showing up in devices as ASMT 2115 USB Device. Cant format it or do anything on it just blank. I tried disk management and it doesn't recognise it in there either

jasonf2

Distinguished
Just ordered a Samsung 860 evo, should be here Wednesday.

I got my HDD drive connected up to my other laptop and it is showing up in devices as ASMT 2115 USB Device. Cant format it or do anything on it just blank. I tried disk management and it doesn't recognise it in there either
The 860 will do well for you. It sounds like you had a full blown failure. Because it is corrupted you will need to start from scratch. Install the drive and run windows setup from a flashdrive. You will need your key to activate.