Need a new mains cable for my power supply

PC-4LIFE

Respectable
Nov 14, 2016
I'm making a wall build and the nearest outlet is further away than my current cable for power supply can reach.

So I need to buy a 3m cable, there are plenty on amazon and other stores but I'm worried about compatibility and quality.

Are there qualities to the cable or can I just pick up any cable? Will they all work assuming they are UK socket compatible?

Solution
For a 3 meter power cable you will want to go with a larger wire (lower gauge) to avoid losses and excess heating. But really that all depends on the power draw. If you are under 500W, almost any cable is good.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
For a 3 meter power cable you will want to go with a larger wire (lower gauge) to avoid losses and excess heating. But really that all depends on the power draw. If you are under 500W, almost any cable is good.

Solution

PC-4LIFE

Respectable
Nov 14, 2016

Thanks.
My PSU is an EVGA G2 550w so I'll need that bigger cable I guess.
How can I tell how big a wire is though? The cords I'm looking at online list their length, voltage and amperage only.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No your 550W watt supply doesn't draw 500W unless it is needed, what is the actual load from the system? Should be significantly less then 550W or you should have purchased a larger supply.

Sometimes you can zoom in on the pictures and read the rating on the wire itself. If they don't tell you, then they don't know and are probably a cheap manufacturer.

Only cables to absolutely avoid are where they have shield part of the ground plug. That isn't correct for UK power plugs.

If I had to pick from say Amazon I would go with this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MainCore-Kettle-Monitor-Mains-Available/dp/B075MDMDLC/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1530023341&sr=8-8&keywords=computer+power+cable+3m

I can't quite make out the text on the cable, but it certainly looks beefier than the ones that are half the price.