antonwalker

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
(Sorry if this is in the wrong place)

I have had the same Alcatel DSL modem for a long time, and I looked on the bottom and it said the warranty expired in 2001 (lol). I seem to randomly disconnect from the Internet for 5-30 min once in a while and it is really annoying when I am playing games or something. It happens on both my iMac on LAN and my vista computer on wireless. I am using a D-link DIR-655 router too. Do you think it is my modem or just SBC (AT&T) being retarded?

Thank you for reading.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If the warranty expired 7 years ago, I'd say it's time to get a new one, tech things don't last for ever but the fact it worked so long after the warranty expired is pretty impressive

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
If the warranty expired 7 years ago, I'd say it's time to get a new one, tech things don't last for ever but the fact it worked so long after the warranty expired is pretty impressive
That is quite impressive. Two to three years has been about the best I've seen.

As for the connectivity issues, it could very well be your ISP. Calling them (if they're Comcast) may not help you at all. Often times they'll tell me that there are no outages in my area, and that it's a problem with my equipment... So, that's when I go and ask all my neighbors how their cable is doing. I guess all ten of us have bad equipment... :rolleyes: Anyways, I'd find someone in your area with the same ISP and check with them next time you get a dropped connection.

If you get some kind of choice on a new modem, ask for an Abit. They can usually get some kind of connection no matter how bad the signal strength is.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

I have Road Runner and whenever I've called they do a signal check and will even send someone out to check at no cost, guess I should quit cussing them when I pay the bill each month

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Yeah, Road Runner used to be my ISP, but some kind of contract in the past had them in an agreement to trade this area to Comcast... needless to say, any and all decent customer service followed it.

Also, they will send someone out, but it's usually during some obscure hours... like "We'll send someone over on Wednesday between 7am and 7 pm." Yeah, alright... I'll stay home all day since I've got nothing better to do than wait around for you. They'll also do signal checks... but it's all done remotely, so if there is a line down between you and the ISP... they just blame it on your equipment.

Sorry, I'm done ranting now... lol.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
RR tech service has always been good although once or twice over the years a tech screwed up but the next one fixed it. Now I know, if I ever move and it's Comcast or DSL, DSL wins. Ranting is cheaper than a psychologist :)

antonwalker

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
Yeah, so I most likely am going to update my service to 6mb down and will probably get a new modem or move to Road Runner Turbo and get better speeds. The only reason I am not on cable now is because the upload is so low compared to DSL.