Asus Rampage IV black Edition
i7-4930k
64gb (8x8) Kingston DDR3-1600 ram
Noctua DH-14
Two monitors
Seasonic 1050W PSU
10TB HDD Iron Wolf NAS / 250gb Samsung 840 EVO / 1tb Samsung 870 EVO
Nvidia 3060 Ti

Its about 9-10 years old and the mobo/cooler have begun giving problems resulting in too many BSOD's. Looking for a change.

I need help choosing a new rig and my usage is in the 3d Rendering / Animation / VFX area . So I'm looking to build something heavy duty.

My main concern is the RAM since DDR5 is currently on the market and I'm wondering how long I have to wait before the prices drop or how many more improvements are going to arrive soon. My plan is to have more RAM in the new system , maybe even start off with 64 before upgrading to 128 or 256gb.

The other area is the CPU. It seems that the i9-12900K is the best choice although it does get very hot apparently. Will other CPU's be arriving on the market anytime soon?

I guess I can keep the storage , the monitors. Wonder if I need more PSU and a bigger case.

I purchased the 3060 Ti recently. I read that Nvidia might come out with a new line to go with DDR5.

Overall just need suggestions on a new config that would be future proofed for atleast 2-3 years. I dont want to buy something only to see massive changes 6 months later.

All suggestions , tips etc welcome

PS: Never used AMD before. I read that they have extremely good CPU's but I am extremely hesitant since I never used them before and have a bias towards intel always being better. Feel free to suggest anyways.

My current PC config is :

NZXT Phantom Case
i7-4930k
Noctua DH-14
Two monitors
Seasonic 1050W PSU
Nvidia 3060 Ti

Its about 9-10 years old and the mobo/cooler have begun giving problems resulting in too many BSOD's. Looking for a change.

I need help choosing a new rig and my usage is in the 3d Rendering / Animation / VFX area . So I'm looking to build something heavy duty.

My main concern is the RAM since DDR5 is currently on the market and I'm wondering how long I have to wait before the prices drop or how many more improvements are going to arrive soon. My plan is to have more RAM in the new system , maybe even start off with 64 before upgrading to 128 or 256gb.

The other area is the CPU. It seems that the i9-12900K is the best choice although it does get very hot apparently. Will other CPU's be arriving on the market anytime soon?

I guess I can keep the storage , the monitors. Wonder if I need more PSU and a bigger case.

I purchased the 3060 Ti recently. I read that Nvidia might come out with a new line to go with DDR5.

Overall just need suggestions on a new config that would be future proofed for atleast 2-3 years. I dont want to buy something only to see massive changes 6 months later.

PS: Never used AMD before. I read that they have extremely good CPU's but I am extremely hesitant since I never used them before and have a bias towards intel always being better. Feel free to suggest anyways.
What country are you located and what is your budget?

You want a board with decent VRM's if you go with an i9. The locked i9 cpu's are easier to keep cool while netting you similar results. Your psu is a bit aged I'm guessing. A 750w psu will do you just fine with that gpu.

This one has integrated graphics.

https://mdcomputers.in/intel-core-i9-12900-bx8071512900.html

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...12900-processor-30m-cache-up-to-5-10-ghz.html

And this one doesn't.

https://mdcomputers.in/intel-core-i9-12900f-bx8071512900f.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...-30m-cache-up-to-5-10-ghz/specifications.html

Apparently its not doing its job. The overheating and not the RAM ( which was my initial guess , and I ran memtest86 as well and it gave errors) is the cause of the problem apparently . Maybe a motherboard issue as well.

That's a strong cooler. I would not give up on it without more evidence.

Next generation from Intel is 3 to 6 months away by most estimates.

DDR 5 is more expensive, but the price difference is decreasing recently.

Here an interesting discussion about cooling a 19-12900k

dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
That's a strong cooler. I would not give up on it without more evidence.

Next generation from Intel is 3 to 6 months away by most estimates.

DDR 5 is more expensive, but the price difference is decreasing recently.

Yeah that was my guess. I always used to get this CPU Fan error upon booting and just used to set it from AUTO to DISABLE in the BIOS. So I dont know if that contributed to anything.

Alder lake is their latest. Are they launching one more soon?

dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
Here an interesting discussion about cooling a 19-12900k

Thank you for the information.

Yeah that was my guess. I always used to get this CPU Fan error upon booting and just used to set it from AUTO to DISABLE in the BIOS. So I dont know if that contributed to anything.

Alder lake is their latest. Are they launching one more soon?

Yes. Raptor Lake estimated in 3 to 6 months; 13000 series; you can get some early reports on it on this forum and elsewhere via google.

I'd certainly pull off a case side panel and look with my own eyes what was happening with your fans before coming to conclusions. Or you could use a good hardware monitor like HWInfo64.

dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
You want a board with decent VRM's if you go with an i9. The locked i9 cpu's are easier to keep cool while netting you similar results. Your psu is a bit aged I'm guessing. A 750w psu will do you just fine with that gpu.

This one has integrated graphics.

https://mdcomputers.in/intel-core-i9-12900-bx8071512900.html

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...12900-processor-30m-cache-up-to-5-10-ghz.html

And this one doesn't.

https://mdcomputers.in/intel-core-i9-12900f-bx8071512900f.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...-30m-cache-up-to-5-10-ghz/specifications.html

The 12900k is what I was looking at. I dont intend to overclock since I never have.

dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
Yes. Raptor Lake estimated in 3 to 6 months; 13000 series; you can get some early reports on it on this forum and elsewhere via google.

I'd certainly pull off a case side panel and look with my own eyes what was happening with your fans before coming to conclusions. Or you could use a good hardware monitor like HWInfo64.

I have to wait to get my PC back from the shop to run any more tests myself.

Im guessing the raptor lake series will have a higher price tag as well.

Very little advantage to i9 unless you absolutely must have the latest and greatest and are willing to accept a greater likelihood of some cooling issues.

Whats an alternative to the i9 . RYZEN?

Last edited:

dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
It would be a first. Have never chosen an AMD and the i9 definitely outworks the 5900X series from AMD. The threadripper is a monster but it has a price tag that is a bit steep for me.

Heres my thought:

Buy a DDR4 compatible motherboard and load it up with high performing DDR4 Ram ( say 64 or 128gb even) OR
i9 + DDR5

From what I have read the DDR5 is faster but its latencies are not high enough to offer a massive increase in performance and its only sold in 32gb kits for now.

Since major changes are afoot should I splurge on the DDR4 and ride out the next 2 years and then change or get the i9+DDR5 now

Last edited:
My current PC config is :

NZXT Phantom Case
i7-4930k
Noctua DH-14
Two monitors
Seasonic 1050W PSU
Nvidia 3060 Ti

Just another opinion.

Cpu.....12700k.
Ram....ddr4@3600.
OS.....w11 for the scheduler.

Reactions: egda23
I don't have access to the Indian market, but for your suggested use case;

i9-12900 - the Noctual DH-14 should handle cooling it, and they'll give you free mounting hardware. You might also need to order a new fan if your old one is 10 years old
high end B660 board
4x 32GB DDR4-3600/18
RTX 3090 (you might try risking a used one off Ebay, where the prices are crazy low)
at PCIe 4.0 x 4 1 TB SSD for boot, and 1 or 2 more 2 TB NVMe drives for storage, which can be slower (PCIe 3.0x4).
high quality 1000-1200W 80+ Gold/Platinum PSU

If that 10 TB drive is 5 years old or older, replace it with a newer 8/16/20TB Drive.

Reactions: Why_Me

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzen 5950X is a 16 core CPU (16c/32t)
Intel 12900 is also 16 cores, but it is 8 Performance cores and 8 Efficiency cores that are single threaded (16c/24t)

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Ryzen-9-5950X-vs-Intel-i9-12900K/3862vs4597

In terms of raw performance, there are many tasks which a Ryzen chip can do better at. Intel has the advantage when it comes to clock speed and single core performance. So for tasks that use less than 8 or 12 cores, the Intel will be faster.

You have a lot of parts you can recycle. However, for the Noctua NH-D14 you will likely need to order a new set of hardware from Noctua. LGA1700 and AM4 are certainly newer than your i7-4930k, so chances are good that cooler won't have the included mounting.

Sadly the PSU should be replaced. Even if it is oversized and had a light job, it wasn't designed with high end 30 series cards in mind. Chances are good your over current protection would get triggered with

Nothing wrong with a 3060Ti if it meets your needs. DDR5 is not really relevant to upcoming GPUs, but not much reason to not get it in a workstation, more bandwidth the better. Still, the idea of buying a used RTX 3090 isn't a bad idea. That 24GB of VRAM makes a difference.

Certainly want a new NVMe boot drive.

I would probably get a Z series board, just for features and quality even with a non overclockable CPU like the 12900. Having things like thunderbolt and 2.5 Gbps network are good to have.

dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014

Not that far off from a build I had considered .
I already have the 3060 Ti and the Phantom Case and 1050W PSU.
Would it not be better to swap out the 128gb worth of DDR5-5600 CL40 with a 64gb 6400 (I'm guessing G.Skill)

Any suggestions on the DDR4 vs DDR5 ram and a DDR4 build?

Not that far off from a build I had considered .
I already have the 3060 Ti and the Phantom Case and 1050W PSU.
Would it not be better to swap out the 128gb worth of DDR5-5600 CL40 with a 64gb 6400 (I'm guessing G.Skill)

Any suggestions on the DDR4 vs DDR5 ram and a DDR4 build?

Right now, there is only little performance difference between DDR4 and DDR5, however high-end DDR4 (3600 or faster) seems to outperform DDR5 4800

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You can certainly adjust the build as desired.

DDR4 4400 is also an option, and isn't usually the expensive. A little tricky to get working though.
DDR5 5600 or 6400 will have the superior bandwidth, but inferior latency.

Latency good for games, bandwidth good for number crunching.