Need a new PSU, any suggestions

mrgrunts

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
Ok my PSU ( mixpc, MI-X8775C 775w ) took a chit on me yesterday. I was playing sniper ghost warrior 3 and everything shut down . I tried to restart but got nothing but the green led on my MB and a white led on my GPU other than that nothing. I took out my PSU and put an old 580w in and just connected my cpu and 20+4 pin connection and it turned on. My fans , my led warning lights and my cpu. So looks like I need a new PSU.
WHAT WOULD BE A GOOD PSU FOR MY SYSTEM?
My system
Asus M5a99fx pro r2.0
FX6300
Asus GeForce GTX 970
2 opti drives and a 3.0 case with 4 fans.

Please let me know if you have any ideas on a new psu. I need this pc for my kids home schooling . Budget under 100 if possible

Solution
Well, putting your components into PCPartspicker, gives me a rough wattage of a little over 320. You can easily get by with 550 watt PSU. If you're overclocking/overboosting components, it's always good to have some spare wattage over your stock max. Buying a good PSU will not only reduce your power bill, it will allow you have a nice PSU for when you build a new system in the future(or at least, have a really good backup PSU, I think everyone should have a functional backup PSU, just in case, as you found out).

Kenton82

Reputable
Ok, well the Corsair RM550X is a great quality unit, and within your budget. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139144&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

mrgrunts

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016

I was looking at that only negative is its only 550w, wouldn't you think I would need at lease 750w what I have now

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
Well, putting your components into PCPartspicker, gives me a rough wattage of a little over 320. You can easily get by with 550 watt PSU. If you're overclocking/overboosting components, it's always good to have some spare wattage over your stock max. Buying a good PSU will not only reduce your power bill, it will allow you have a nice PSU for when you build a new system in the future(or at least, have a really good backup PSU, I think everyone should have a functional backup PSU, just in case, as you found out).

Solution