Need a Nvidia green spray paint for build

cheetojunkie

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016
I want a nvidia green paint for my Dominator platinum ram, and SLI bridge, so I don't necessarily need something like engine enamel because they are not very hot components. But of course, if you think that is needed let me know. In short I am looking for a link to a spray paint/ engine enamel can that matches the color of NVIDIA green.
Thanks in advance!

Solution
You are really stuck on the idea that paint is an insulator. The majority of paints today are made with titanium dioxide and chemical organic colorants. Latex and acrylic paints are to be avoided, mostly for their lack of resilience against impact. And wouldn't you know it, excepting the occasional annodization of aluminum (a colored hardening layer) most heatsinks on memory are already painted.

The "heatsinks" on memory don't do a whole lot except act as a place for some design. Unless you are heavily overvolting the whole idea behind DDR4 was a lower power envelope than DDR3L. You don't often see heatsinks on SODIMM memory, and that has twice the density typically, and they live in environments with no airflow at all.

Highly...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You are really stuck on the idea that paint is an insulator. The majority of paints today are made with titanium dioxide and chemical organic colorants. Latex and acrylic paints are to be avoided, mostly for their lack of resilience against impact. And wouldn't you know it, excepting the occasional annodization of aluminum (a colored hardening layer) most heatsinks on memory are already painted.

The "heatsinks" on memory don't do a whole lot except act as a place for some design. Unless you are heavily overvolting the whole idea behind DDR4 was a lower power envelope than DDR3L. You don't often see heatsinks on SODIMM memory, and that has twice the density typically, and they live in environments with no airflow at all.

Highly overclocked DDR2 was really the last memory that truly needed heat spreaders. Prior to that you had RAMBUS, pretty much all other off the shelf memory was sold bare. 'Premium' memory like Corsair XMS2 also had heatspreaders and not heatsinks.

So many examples out there of memory and GPUs, even motherboards, being painted with no ill effects.

Solution
The paint on heat spreaders are anodization a super thin coat. Anodization is only tens of nanometers thick and is chemically bonded to the base metal. No one can do that withl a spray can. Panting GPU plastic or motherboards that only run at 100Mhz isn't as big a deal. Once CPU's didn't need coolers but they only ran at 66Mhz. Point is only the slower RAM models dont have a heat spreader. They are not just decorative.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

I've been around anodization a long time, and a lot of the memory out there is painted, or possibly powder coated. The ones that are anodized are usually pretty obvious as you can see the reflectivity of the metal underneath, particularly with colors. And many vendors add a layer of insulation in the form of a sticker as their next act, so they aren't too concerned about getting the best heat dissipation.

The dissipation of your average DDR4 8GB memory stick is only ~3W @ 2133 That being from Tom's themselves even. Struggling to find any reliable data from faster speeds, mostly because I think it is a non-topic. If you stick with 1.2 volt memory, it should be roughly similar. 1.35 volts is the rated maximum, and that is far below the 1.8 volt stock of DDR2 (can't actually recall what DDR was, been a while). Keeping in mind that with the voltage increases they have also been moving to more efficient process nodes.

These days I choose ram almost primarily by price and appearance. I try to lean towards brands that use Samsung or Hynix chips, but that is about it.