Need a power supply for a Seagate External Drive STBV4000100

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreadDotRun

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
For a Seagate Expansion 4 TB 3.0 USB Desktop External Hard Drive (STBV4000100):

I've looked at the device, the manual, and googled it. I simply cannot find the specs on the power supply (which i just lost when I moved.) its also not on the device near the plug as one would expect... I don't believe that I missed the data in any of these places.

I just want to buy another one, but can't find out which kind I need or which universal one would work because I don't know the expected input voltage and amperage (which I believe I have to match.)

So I'm a programmer, and only so-so with the hardware part... And I need to get my stuff off that expansion drive. Can anyone tell me what type of adapter I need to buy or more specifically what input voltage and amperage I will need?

Thanks!

Solution
Tried putting this phrase in google images ;)

Link

2 minutes of search and conclusion:
12V 2A typical plug available even on universal low volt power supplies.

Go to the nearest PC/Electronic shop with the drive and as soon as the plug is correct size and it provides at least 2A @12V DC you are done.

Ra_V_en

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Tried putting this phrase in google images ;)

Link

2 minutes of search and conclusion:
12V 2A typical plug available even on universal low volt power supplies.

Go to the nearest PC/Electronic shop with the drive and as soon as the plug is correct size and it provides at least 2A @12V DC you are done.

Solution

ThreadDotRun

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Thanks Ra_V_en,

Thanks for the answer!

Yeah, I tried googling that. Mayhaps my result set is different than yours (https://www.google.com/#q=Seagate+Expansion+4+TB+3.0+USB+power+adapter) - I looked at all links on the first two pages, and only see ads to sell the drive itself or threads about the drive itself.

Edit:

Nah, screw me. I missed that you put it in images.

All good dude thanks. Nice idea BTW.

I have to conclude that its the way google tailors my results. Any chance you could provide the link to the source for that, since I can't seem to mine it from the google query? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Here are the specs: http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/204171en
Click on the link that says "Expansion External Drive (newer model)"

It appears that you need an adapter that has an output of 12 volts and/or 1.5 amps.

I did a search on Amazon.com for "Seagate Expansion Power Supply" and these are the results: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Seagate%20expansion%20Power%20Supply

Ra_V_en

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
...or Seagate External Drive (image of power supply label) which seems to be 2A@12V, since you don't need to buy an original supply it actually doesn't matter whats on original label as far as you provide a safe minimum and its about 1,5 - 2A as we can see.

Btw 4TB drives uses like 5W so even with 1A supply you would have double that 12V*1A=12W.

Ra_V_en

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Seriously, if some company will put negative in the center pin then the designer should be burned on the pile or read some ISO standards.
Pin is common as a positive but i guess "standards" can be avoided especially in some Chinese manufacture ;)
Its low voltage and even 20 year old personal CD players had a diode protection for wrong power input.

If it wont work, you go to the shop and return it as you have privilege to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.