Need a PSU advice

Traciatim

Distinguished
Your power supply size is largely dependent on the hardware you are putting in your machine, mainly your CPU and GPU set up. That being said, these days almost any single GPU set up can be run on a good quality 500 watt supply or pretty much any 600watt supply (but generally you want to stick with good quality).

Something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027 is generally a good choice unless you have some specific need for more power, in which case you probably already know what you need.

Edit: That Asustek calculator you linked said I need a 600Watt power supply for my own system, yet I know for a fact it peaks at about 310-315 watts pulled from the wall, and I use an 85% efficient power supply so it's actually drawing 264 - 268 watts from the rated capacity of the PSU . . . I think those calculators are tuned very poorly so that they don't get complaints about buying a supply on their recommendation and having it not be enough.

g-unit1111

Titan

Most power supply calculators - especially the Asustek one - are grossly inaccurate. They fail to take in the actual power wattage draws from modern GPUs and they only take into account older generation GPUs. I look at this way - a single GPU system will need anywhere between 500 - 600W depending on the GPU. A second GPU will require something along the lines of 700W - 800W.

opponentmule2

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
I would get around a 750W for just future proofing.

It's only a 20-30$ upgrade. And it's better quality + you won't have to buy another PSU all over again when you SLI a second GPU.

I suggest the Silencer mark 3 750W. It's gold certified, and it's a really reliable GPU. Read some great reviews on it. Only 100$ too.

g-unit1111

Titan

That's not really going to make a rig future proof. If you want to add a second card later on, then you want a second one. But if you're going with a single GPU, 620W is plenty since GPUs are actually becoming more energy efficient with each generation.

The Silencer MKIII is a good choice since it's made by Super Flower, although pretty much any Super Flower or Seasonic PSU will be worlds better than anything else you could buy.

TRENDING THREADS