[SOLVED] Need a psu for RTX 2070 Super

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... yea, currently using a TX650 which i think its like... idk, 10 yrs old...

anyways, i wanna keep up with corsair, but they have like... uhhhh, so many TX, CX, RMx, HX, AX.... that makes no sense...

gonna go for a 850w for a headroom here, but if its too pricey a 750 will do with flying colors... which would be a good one?

Solution
anyways, i wanna keep up with corsair, but they have like... uhhhh, so many TX, CX, RMx, HX, AX.... that makes no sense...

Yeah. They used to have a chart on their website that told you the difference between the different series, but I guess they felt their customers weren't confused enough so they removed it. shrug

Here's the current series from top to bottom:
  • AX1600i: Titanium efficiency, fully modular, FDB fan with Zero RPM fan mode. All Japanese caps. Rated at 50°C. All analog ICs replaced with MCUs (fully digital). PSU has monitoring capability via LINK or iCUE. Has a very unique bridgeless totem-pole front end with GaN transistors.
  • AX: Titanium efficiency, fully modular, FDB fan with Zero...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
850W is tons of headroom.
650W probably still has headroom with the 2070 Super - as it can pull peak of 228W. So 750W should be MORE than enough.

This is what I would recommend myself for 750W. I'll only be recommending better Corsair Units:
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($108.89 @ OutletPC)
10 year warranty.

Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Newegg)
7 year warranty.

Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg Business)
10 year warranty.

Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($135.35 @ OutletPC)
10 year warranty.

Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Ultra Titanium 750 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($189.99 @ SuperBiiz)
12 year warranty.

Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($94.98 @ SuperBiiz)
7 year warranty.

Power Supply: Corsair - 760 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
7 year warranty.

Most budget friendly unit you could probably recommend is a CX unit:

Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Technically speaking you could argue the SeaSonic Platinum and Corsair AXi are the best quality on this list - even the Linus tier list marks it as highest quality - hence the increased costs.

I've only recommended good quality units here and I've also eliminated suggesting units such as Antec HCP or Be quiet! SP11 because they aren't worth the price increase IMO.

I tend to stick myself to Seasonic units, because quality is outstanding, support is excellent, and their warranty can be longer.

in regards to your Corsair models listed, based on my knowledge you'd tend to find the AXi is probably their best, followed by RMi / RMx / HXi. Then after this is your TXM for example. CX is there lower but still decent models. VS etc are all budget.

A good guide is here:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1045610-new-psu-tier-list/

Last edited:
found the RMx 750w nearby, the 850w is a bit, oof, salty, and since even the 2080ti will be fine with 750w, i guess thats it.

price is not exactly uber cheap but not overpriced either, although i feel tempted to keep up with my TX650 i guess i shouldnt risk a shiny new 2070 super... right?... RIGHT?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
found the RMx 750w nearby, the 850w is a bit, oof, salty, and since even the 2080ti will be fine with 750w, i guess thats it.

price is not exactly uber cheap but not overpriced either, although i feel tempted to keep up with my TX650 i guess i shouldnt risk a shiny new 2070 super... right?... RIGHT?
The TX are good, but if it is 10 years old, I'd upgrade.
I don't think it would cause any damage, but last thing you want is it going out now.
I always replace my PSU when it's warranty period is up.

Yeah. They used to have a chart on their website that told you the difference between the different series, but I guess they felt their customers weren't confused enough so they removed it. shrug

Here's the current series from top to bottom:
  • AX1600i: Titanium efficiency, fully modular, FDB fan with Zero RPM fan mode. All Japanese caps. Rated at 50°C. All analog ICs replaced with MCUs (fully digital). PSU has monitoring capability via LINK or iCUE. Has a very unique bridgeless totem-pole front end with GaN transistors.
  • AX: Titanium efficiency, fully modular, FDB fan with Zero RPM fan mode, analog PSU w/o monitoring. All Japanese caps. Rated at 50°C. Until I say otherwise, all of these PSUs use a LLC resonant front end and DC to DC for the +3.3V and +5V rails.
  • HXi: Platinum efficiency, fully modular, FDB fan with Zero RPM fan mode, analog PSU, but with monitoring. All Japanese caps. Rated at 50°C
  • HX: Platinum efficiency, fully modular, FDB fan with Zero RPM fan mode, analog PSU w/o monitoring, but a switch to choose between single and multiple +12V rail. All Japanese caps. Rated at 50°C
  • RMi: Gold efficiency, fully modular, FDB fan with Zero RPM fan mode, analog PSU, but with monitoring. All Japanese caps. Rated at 50°C
  • RMx: Gold efficiency, fully modular, rifle bearing fan with Zero RPM fan mode. All Japanese caps. Rated at 50°C. From here on down, all of the PSUs are analog without any kind of monitoring or control via Corsair Link or iCUE.
  • TX-M: Gold efficiency, semi-modular, rifle bearing fan w/o Zero RPM fan mode. All Japanese caps. Rated at 50°C
  • RM (new): Gold efficiency, fully modular, rifle bearing fan with Zero RPM fan mode. Supports new Modern Standby Mode and meets new 2% efficiency requirement of 70%. No Japanese caps. Rated at 40°C.
  • Vengeance Silver: 80 PLUS Silver efficiency, semi-modular, rifle bearing fan with Zero RPM fan mode. Has a switch to choose between single and multiple +12V rail. All Japanese caps. Rated at 40°C.
  • CX: Bronze efficiency, non-modular, rifle bearing fan. Only Japanese bulk cap. Rated at 40°C.
  • CX-M: Bronze efficiency, semi-modular, rifle bearing fan. This and the VS are the only Corsair PSUs that aren't LLC and have a double forward front end. That said, CX-M at least has DC to DC for the +3.3V and +5V. Only Japanese bulk cap. Rated at 40°C.
  • VS: Regular 80 PLUS efficiency. Non-modular. Sleeve bearing fan. No Japanese caps. Rated at 30°C. Double forward and no DC to DC.
Older versions of the series currently in production:
  • AXi: Used to be a full line of Platinum digital power supplies with DBB fans.
  • AX: Used to be Platinum and before that Gold efficiency and with DBB fans.
  • HX: Corsair's original PSU series. It was originally 80 PLUS, then Bronze, then Gold. It used to be semi-modular and always had a DBB fan until the most recent Platinum version.
  • RM: Prior to the most recent RM and before the RMx and RMi, the original RM was Corsair's first fully modular Gold PSU. It only had a Japanese bulk cap and was only rated at 40°C. It did have an I2C connector that reported +12V rail load and fan speed to Corsair LINK. This was also the first Corsair PSU to have a Zero RPM fan mode.
  • TX and TX-M: Use to be a semi-modular unit with Bronze efficiency. Totally overbuilt for a Bronze PSU and therefore too expensive. DBB fan.
Completely discontinued:
  • CS-M: Gold efficiency, semi-modular, rifle bearing fan w/o Zero RPM fan mode. Only Japanese bulk cap. Rated at 40°C. Replaced by TX-M.
  • Vengeance Bronze: 80 PLUS Bronze efficiency. Came in fixed cable and semi-modular versions. Rifle bearing fan w/o Zero RPM fan mode. All Japanese caps. Rated at 40°C. Replaced by Vengeance Silver.
  • GS: Very similar feature-wise to CX-M (same topology, etc.) but with an R- G- B- fan that could be changed with a push button on the housing.
  • VX: Was cheaper than HX, but still built like a tank and too expensive, so it didn't last long in the market.

Solution
Well well, thats alot of... X's....

I guess since i dont need all the monitoring junk and gold seems good enough, and uh... I dont have more money than god, i'll go with the RM or TX, i dont really care much about being modular as I have a full tower, but if the pricing isnt too much, i suppose the RMx 750 was indeed the sweet spot

Status
Not open for further replies.