[SOLVED] Need a PSU recommendation for a Vega 56, $120 budget, probably over 500W

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Greetings, thank you in advance for helping me out.. I'm not sure where to post this, so I do apologize if I posted in the wrong section.

I'll cut to the chase, my PC specs are :
Ryzen 3 1200
GTX 970 (Gigabyte G1 Model)
FSP Hexa+ 500W PSU

Just few days ago, my GTX 970 died.. No warning, at all... So I thought maybe it's time for an upgrade (it's 5 years old anyway at this point). I wanted a GPU that will serve me for a long time, and I overshot and got myself a Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 (which is kind of overkill at this point, I know).. After reading some reviews, I read that 500W should be enough for the Vega.
Last night I tried installing the Vega, just for the sake of trying it. Everything went smoothly, installed the card, updated the driver, etc. Then I tried to play some games (tried Sniper Elite 4, no problem at all), then Mirror's Edge, and the PC shutdown after about 10 minutes of play. The entire PC, not just the GPU.

First thing that struck my mind was the GPU overheated. But I had some experiences with GPU overheating, and usually only the GPU shuts down if it does overheat. This time, the entire PC shut down, and the PC won't turn on before I unplugged and reconnected the PSU from the wall. So, I think (and kindly correct me if I'm wrong) this is a PSU problem. For some reason, the 500W PSU couldn't handle the GPU. I've also read that Vega cards are quite finicky with cable choices and often refuse to run properly with split 6+2 pins (my PSU has that exact cables) and power has to be fed by separate 6+2 pins for the GPU to run properly.

Of course, I got this information from quick searches, but it's probably a PSU problem. I've read people having no problem running Vega 56 with much power-hungry processor with 500W PSUs (someone even used a 450W), so I think it's either the 6+2 pins problem, or maybe my PSU just can't cope with the power requirements somehow. I'll replace it.
I'm thinking of buying either a Corsair CX650M or a VS550 (those are the ones I found from the local PC store). Which one of those two is the best to power the Vega? Or maybe there's a better PSU that you can recommend? My budget is around $100, can go a bit higher if it's worth it, but $120 max.
Also, I'm thinking of upgrading to a Ryzen 5 1600 soon, so I guess that should be taken to a consideration. My plan was to buy the R5 1600 and Vega 56 together, but after this PSU shenanigans I guess the Ryzen would have to wait :LOL:

I'm completely blind when it comes to PSU. Hell, I chose my last PSU only because the seller said "it's a good one"...
Thank you for reading this far, I appreciate it, really..

Quick EDIT : I just realized how ironic my username is. Never thought it would bite at later time when I signed up.

Solution
Wouldn't use either one of the PSU you are talking about. ;)

Look at these and at least 650W.

Seasonic Focus Plus
Corsair RMX
EVGA G2

The VEGA 56 is no joke power consumption wise, you need a good high quality PSU.

Do not cheap out on the PSU or you will regret it, I guarantee it.

Do not buy the Vega 56 unless you get a high quality PSU to power it.

Seasonic Focus Plus
Corsair RMX
EVGA G2

The VEGA 56 is no joke power consumption wise, you need a good high quality PSU.

Last edited:
Solution

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018

Look at:

Seasonic Focus Plus
Corsair RMX
EVGA G2

Thank you for the quick reply.. I just checked, what about the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W?? Is it a good enough one??

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018

Seasonic Focus Plus
Corsair RMX
EVGA G2

First of all, I have no intentions of necro-ing this thread, at all.. So forgive me if I crossed the line.. But I have good news.

The PSU arrived earlier today (due to... circumstances, it arrived a bit late, but it's here now). And yes, I bought the Seasonic, the 650W variant..
I've spent the better part of the day installing it and doing some cable management (what I meant by 'cable management' really is 'wrap everything with rubber bands and stuff it inside the empty drive bays'), but I digress.

Installed everything and booted it up, ran benchmark and some tests and no shutdown at all. Rock solid. Even after I cranked everything to 10 (with performance BIOS and Turbo settings), no problem at all (which is a stark contrast considering the system would shutdown at power-save mode and -50% power limit with the old PSU). It's running very smoothly now.

Turns out there's more to PSUs than just wattage. But hey, the more I know..
Thank you for the help, dear sir. I know I can count on this forum for help.

"Don't cheap out on PSU".
Words to live by.

Reactions: jankerson
First of all, I have no intentions of necro-ing this thread, at all.. So forgive me if I crossed the line.. But I have good news.

The PSU arrived earlier today (due to... circumstances, it arrived a bit late, but it's here now). And yes, I bought the Seasonic, the 650W variant..
I've spent the better part of the day installing it and doing some cable management (what I meant by 'cable management' really is 'wrap everything with rubber bands and stuff it inside the empty drive bays'), but I digress.

Installed everything and booted it up, ran benchmark and some tests and no shutdown at all. Rock solid. Even after I cranked everything to 10 (with performance BIOS and Turbo settings), no problem at all (which is a stark contrast considering the system would shutdown at power-save mode and -50% power limit with the old PSU). It's running very smoothly now.

Turns out there's more to PSUs than just wattage. But hey, the more I know..
Thank you for the help, dear sir. I know I can count on this forum for help.

"Don't cheap out on PSU".
Words to live by.

Glad to see you got it worked out, enjoy.