Need a PSU recommendation

jhowell

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Yo 2 all!

Basically long story short, have a msi 7312 mobo, ati 3850 agp graphix, amd 6000+ proc, and a harddizzle that pull non relevant powaz.

I have been having random shutoffs ect, and through another post i have here, come to realize that im almost positive my s#%$'s going funky due to a lack of juice.

Here is a link to my current power supply, that was recommended by a genious in a retail chain that will not be named, just think epic fail @ tech and you prob got em. Anyway i digress

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153052

If i am not mistaken, the wattage is fine, but it seriously lacks in the department I need to make this setup run, Soon as I put the machine under load it completely shuts off, and am unable to turn it back on w.o unplugging for 3 or so min. Idle it runs fine, when i load a movie it starts to shutter hardcore.

So, Idealy i'd like to find a 600w PSU, that has overkill on the rest of the specs, for later upgradability. Lemme know if you have a good option that has worked in the past. <3

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

Before purchasing a new psu you will need to decide whether you will eventually have a pc with one or two video cards.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. An example would be the Antec Earthwatts series which is an improvement over Antec’s older series psu’s.

If you want a high quality 600 watt power supply, then I would recommend the Corsair TX650 which has a large single +12 volt rail rated at 52 amps:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

Your system does not require very much power. Your video card does not require very much power. Your power supply should be able to power your system. I checked a few technical references. Even a pc with a pair of 3850's in Crossfire would only result in a total power draw at the wall outlet (mains) of about 275 to 300 watts at full load.

I didn't find any competent technical reviews for your specific power supply so I have no for a valid opinion. Are you doing any serious overclocking or tweaking? Could be a quality control problem.

jhowell

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Na no oc at all, from everything I have seen I am confident it's not a wattage issue, but potentially a amperage one... On the psu calc I am requring a 230ish watt psu, but no 230ish psu can put out 30 watts. I.e. I believe I am lacking on amps adding the gpu Nd CPU combo together. I hope I am wrong but :/ I dunno

jhowell

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
I never had this issue until I added the gpu I might add, I thought it was defective buy I mean I can run wow or borderlands for 10 min or so then it must dies, it's flipping wierd

The symptoms match those of inadequate power.

If you can, take it back and swap it for a Corsair 550VX. While you are there, look at power supplies in the same category (like all the 400's, 500's or 650's). Pick up each one. Notice the heaviest - probably a Corsair. For a computer PSU, heavy is good.

IMO, Thermaltakes tend to be pretty mediocre power supplies. And the one you bought is an obsolete design (the 115 - 230 switch on the back).

jhowell

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Ya. It definitely was the power, it runs well now. However now the issue has changed. Instead of just shutting down, the gpu looks as though it disconnects the monitor, then the computer restarts.

Any ideas?

I have latest drivers and bios