Need a PSU

Gina Chroust

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Im looking to buy a new PSU for my rig. I recently build a new PC and have double and triple checked all the cords took out ram/switched 1 in 1 out and taken out the GPU I get no beeps and get no display, everything turns on fans led etc. I tried a new mobo and still have the same issue so I assume its my psu, it was a spare was from an old rig. Its a 700w ocz mod steamxpro. I plan on OCing and crossfire in the future. I have a $100 limit.

Here are my specs.
Tempest 410 Case

Asus Formula V mobo

Intel 3770k

r9 270x 2gb ddr5 his OC edition

16gb ram 1600 crucial sport

Crosair h100i cooler

500gb hdd western digital

Solution
Some motherboards don't have a POST beep speaker so you won't hear any beeps. I've had to add a POST beep speaker to my ASUS motherboard if I wanted to hear the beep codes.

What does the motherboard's Q_CODE LED show for its diagnostic code?
sounds more like your gpu than your power supply. bad gpu's happen. you should get a display without a gpu installed, and so it leads me to believe it may be a cpu problem rather than a psu problem. Of course the psu is still a variable, so maybe try say the corsair tx series, or one of the seasonic units, you don't need more than 500 watts for that kinda system if you get a good psu, but it never hurts to overshoot your power needs

Hello man

Honorable

Ok. I would agree with you on that diagnosis, so something like a 750-850W should suffice. If you feel that "go big or go home" is true, then get anything upwards of 1000W. However, you should not need it. One like this would work http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139056

Gina Chroust

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
I dont think its the GPU. It was working perfectly fine prior to pulling it out of the other system and thats a great PSU just $50 over my budgetand preferably Amazon so I can get some use out of amazon prime, if possible.

That is a great psu mentioned above, but you dont HAVE to spend that much on a psu, especially for the system you have. you could easily buy a quality 500 watt psu for under $100 and never have a problem with it. I highly advise against the go big or go home statement, as it is just a waste of money to buy a 1000w psu unless you are planning on using 3 270x's and overclocking them all.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsCA&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsCA-_-pla-_-Power+Supplies-_-N82E16817151119&ef_id=UxaIUgAABEujVGbY:20140311191129:s is more than enough for ANY single gpu system aside from a 690 or 7990 which both have dual gpu boards

again, the above psu is good, but the 650 watt variant would be more than enough for any single gpu system you would want to build. It's good practice to overspend on a psu, but not good practice to waste money on power that you may never use. if you plan on ever adding a second gpu, then by all means go with 750 or 850. if not, I do not recommend anything over 650 watts for a single gpu

Does it work with the integrated graphics?

The OCZ 700W ModXStream Pro used some unknown questionable capacitors in its construction. It's a PSU model from six years ago and even back then it used a rather obsolete group regulated circuit design.

Hello man

Honorable

She is planning on two cards in the feature guys.

Gina Chroust

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
I havent tried the Intergrated yet because I just put in the Asus formula V and 3770k had it power on the cpu with no ram or gpu in it and it still gave no beeps and it was late so it figured id try it today(had an msi 970 and amd fx 8350 it was doing the same thing no beeps or display but power on everything), but figured id still get a new psu cause like you said its six years old and time for a new one.

Hello man

Honorable

Hmm. Yeah, I would do a larger one, considering the depreciation on one would make it worth so little if your were to sell it later.

For a system using two AMD Reference Design Radeon R9 270X graphics cards in 2-way CrossFire mode AMD specifies a minimum of an 700 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 44 Amps or greater and have at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors. For your HIS OC Edition cards I would up that to 50 Amps on the combined +12V rail(s) since they draw more power than the AMD Reference Design cards.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) may require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

Hello man

Honorable

Thanks KO.

well you could try clearing the cmos first and see if responds.if not then its probably the psu. anyway the coolermaster (tier 4)you have isnt that good since it cant put out full power at room temperature so it woudnt suffice for 270x crossfire .a good 750W will be more than enough plus o/c so i recommend these all of them better quality than the corsair rm
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1750bbefx
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ssr750rm
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/rosewill-power-supply-capstone750m
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-hx750

Some motherboards don't have a POST beep speaker so you won't hear any beeps. I've had to add a POST beep speaker to my ASUS motherboard if I wanted to hear the beep codes.

What does the motherboard's Q_CODE LED show for its diagnostic code?

Solution

Gina Chroust

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
I just added a case speaker and am now getting a ram issue. I tested it intergrated and it worked, GPU next, it worked. Thank you everyone for your recommendations. Chris all of those are great and I will most likely be getting one of those today. Thank you everyone for the help.

you are welcome:)