Need a recommendation for an AIO cooler

gimmickmusik

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016
I wanted to believe that this would not happen, but unfortunately it did. I made the switch from a full-tower to a mATX tower and, unfortunately, my Corsair H60 just can't seem to hang with the reduced airflow. My processor (i7-4790k [not overclocked]) is not hitting any dangerous temperatures, but it is getting pretty close to that 92ºC threshold. Before the switch I was clocking about 79ºC under an above-average/ heavy gaming load, but I'm now hitting around 88ºC. I'm looking for something that will consistently keep the temperatures down to what they were (Maybe even better). I'm not really that big a fan of the large air coolers. While they do the job, they are big, and bulky and not really a pleasure to look at through the side window of the case (I know, I'm vain).

My first thought was a Corsair H80i but the H100i is only a tad more expensive. I did, however, remember seeing some reviews on the Enermax Liqmax II and hearing that it was a phenomenal cooler for it's price, but I have also heard that they commonly leak after the first few months of use.

Edit: I should mention that noise levels are a factor in this build. I don't expect my tower to be silent, but I don't want it to sound like a wind tunnel either. Since I don't overclock I am also curious about what I should expect my fan rpm range to look like.

So my main questions are the following:
1) Does anyone have any long term experience with the Enermax Liqmax II, and if so how has it performed over time (and over how much time)?

2) Keeping in mind that I'm not looking for an option that is any greater than $120 US, what AIO cooler would you recommend?

Edit: 3) What rpm fans should I use on my cooler?

Solution
A 200mm fan will deliver more air at lower and quieter rpm than 2 120mm fans.

Mounting the H60 as intake at the top is destroying the natural front to back airflow the case was designed to do.
Try setting the radiator to exhaust out the top.

FWIW, by M-ATX case, the Silverstone TJ-08E comes with a single 180mm intake in front.
I run it at reduced speed as my only intake.
Inside, I cool a GTX980ti and a I5-6600K with a OC o 4.8.
All I need is a noctua NH-U12s for cpu cooling.
My only exhaust fan is a 120mm exhaust at the rear for directional control.

If fiddling with your H60 can not get good results, then try to emulate my setup.

Use a NH-U12s or even a NH-U14s for the cooler, 200mm intake in front, and 120mm for rear exhaust...
If you got a full tower, why not consider a tower-style air cooler? They'll be more reliable and durable than an AIO, quieter, and the performance gap isn't too big until you get to custom built water loops. Some you might like are be quiet dark rock, cooler master hyper 212, Cryorig H7/H5 Ultimate, etc.

If you must get an AIO I'd look into Cooler Master Seidon 120V

What was your previous case, and what is the new case?
What is the new fan arrangement?
Any cooler needs sufficient fresh air to do the job.
Is your H60 mounted to draw in air from the outside, or to exhaust to the outside?

I would suggest a noctua NH-U14s. It is deadly quiet and will cool as well as any aio cooler.
Even with overclocking your I7-4790K it will do the job.

gimmickmusik

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016
Sorry, in all of the typing I forgot to mention my case. I went from a ThermalTake Chaser 71 (sounded like a wind tunnel) to a Phantek Evolve mATX. I have the h60 set up in push from the front panel, so the air is as fresh as it can be. If I waqs to get a 240 mm I would need to top mount the cooler since I do uses the HDD bay.

If you abandoned the supplied 200mm front intake for the H60 as an intake, I think that was a mistake.

Use your 200mm intake fan in front.
It should supply plenty of intake air.
Mount the H60 radiator to take in air from inside the case and exhaust it outside.
Rear or top should not matter.

Liquid cooling is really air cooling.
The difference is where the radiator heat exchange takes place.

If relocating the H60 does not do the job, buy a noctua NH-U14s for $65 or so.

gimmickmusik

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016

Would the 200mm provide better intake than two 120mm fans? Because that is what I have done. I placed the rad fan at the top mount and then a second one just below it.

A 200mm fan will deliver more air at lower and quieter rpm than 2 120mm fans.

Mounting the H60 as intake at the top is destroying the natural front to back airflow the case was designed to do.
Try setting the radiator to exhaust out the top.

FWIW, by M-ATX case, the Silverstone TJ-08E comes with a single 180mm intake in front.
I run it at reduced speed as my only intake.
Inside, I cool a GTX980ti and a I5-6600K with a OC o 4.8.
All I need is a noctua NH-U12s for cpu cooling.
My only exhaust fan is a 120mm exhaust at the rear for directional control.

If fiddling with your H60 can not get good results, then try to emulate my setup.

Use a NH-U12s or even a NH-U14s for the cooler, 200mm intake in front, and 120mm for rear exhaust.
Assuming your front intake is filtered, you will have positive pressure cleaning.

Solution