[SOLVED] Need a second opinion if someone doesn’t mind.

Oct 6, 2021
So, the other day i get home from work and woke my pc from sleep and all of a sudden i smell smoke. Saw it coming from my pc so i immediately turned it off and let it sit. Came back a few hours later to see the damage and the bottom of my motherboard got burnt pretty good and burnt through the outer coating and burnt some of the traces on the board, long story short it was a goner. Pc wouldn’t really come on so i just bought a new mobo and reinstalled everything today, and it still didn’t boot…lights flashed once and then nothing. So i started taking things out of the system to eliminate problems and when i took the gpu out (1070) it booted up fine, all fans on, psu fan is on, all lights on, etc. I have a ryzen 5 2600 so no on board graphics but everything was working. My opinion is the gpu is a goner, it was seated properly, 6+2 pin was connected from psu. I reset bios, reseated it in another PCIE slot, still nothing. Just want a second opinion from one of you guys if there’s anything else i could try before trying to somehow get a GPU in the hellscape that is todays gpu market. Thanks in advance.

i would be wary of using this power supply after this has occurred.
it could very well be what damaged the motherboard & graphics card.
include make / model of PSU.

you can try just borrowing a GPU to determine if the system is actually booting properly.
finding a good replacement at a reasonable price might not be easy but there are still quite a few older low performing models available on eBay etc that you can use just to get the system operable again.
or upgrade the CPU to include an iGPU for now.

Oct 6, 2021
i would be wary of using this power supply after this has occurred.
it could very well be what damaged the motherboard & graphics card.
include make / model of PSU.

you can try just borrowing a GPU to determine if the system is actually booting properly.
finding a good replacement at a reasonable price might not be easy but there are still quite a few older low performing models available on eBay etc that you can use just to get the system operable again.
or upgrade the CPU to include an iGPU for now.
I appreciate the response, it’s a thermaltake smart 600w. Pc has been in use for about 2 1/2 years. I don’t mind getting another PSU, just a little more worried about the GPU for obvious reasons. What would you suggest going forward?

Oct 6, 2021
as i already stated about the GPU.
if you can get your hands on a good card for a good price i would assume you're going to need it anyway.

but you may still be risking damaging any other components you connect if this PSU is to blame.
i would first ensure that i had a trustworthy power supply before connecting anything else.
Bought a 600w evga bronze on amazon that’ll be here tomorrow. Even if this problem persists i will keep the evga psu installed to prevent this going forward

Oct 6, 2021
as i already stated about the GPU.
if you can get your hands on a good card for a good price i would assume you're going to need it anyway.

but you may still be risking damaging any other components you connect if this PSU is to blame.
i would first ensure that i had a trustworthy power supply before connecting anything else.
Alright so i swapped PSUs, and it’s doing the exact same thing. Swapped for an 80+ Bronze EVGA 600W. Should i even bother getting a lower end card and testing it since i can all but confirm it’s the gpu?

g-unit1111

Titan
Alright so i swapped PSUs, and it’s doing the exact same thing. Swapped for an 80+ Bronze EVGA 600W. Should i even bother getting a lower end card and testing it since i can all but confirm it’s the gpu?

If your CPU supports onboard video, try taking the GPU out and running your system without the GPU. That will determine whether or not the GPU is the problem.

Most of the time it's the PSU that is the problem. That EVGA unit isn't the best unit you could get but it's not the worst either. At the least it's probably better than the unit that came with your PC.

Oct 6, 2021
If your CPU supports onboard video, try taking the GPU out and running your system without the GPU. That will determine whether or not the GPU is the problem.

Most of the time it's the PSU that is the problem. That EVGA unit isn't the best unit you could get but it's not the worst either. At the least it's probably better than the unit that came with your PC.
Unfortunately it doesn’t, it’s second gen ryzen. That EVGA PSU is just what fits my current budget, it was like 60 something on amazon. I’ve already had to replace the motherboard so this is becoming more costly lol. the thermaltake psu i got when i built my pc was on sale at the time, probably wasn’t the best choice but here i am.

TRENDING THREADS