Question Need a second opinion on a purchase

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
So I've done a little digging, and at the time when this drive came out, it seems like it was well received.

And as of now, the price for it is hard to beat for the amount of storage I will get.

And looking at the 12 reviews for it on Amazon, seems like it's a good buy.

There was one user who posted in April of this year, who says they had a few of them bought back in 2016 and they are still going strong which seems like a good sign.

Also the fact that this drive was initially intended for enterprise level use I can see it being a quality drive that will last a while.

Now while it's not 7200rpm, I am OK with the more standard read/write speeds of a hard drive like this one for what I'm looking to use it for.

Basically, right now, I have a 250GB SSD which has my OS and main apps on it.

Then I have a 2TB 7200rpm drive for mass storage and all my games, but the storage is getting full now.

So basically what I want to use this drive for is just more game storage as well as storage for media files.

The media files in question are pictures and video in raw formats taken from my camera for editing purposes and they do take up a lot of space.

As I said, the read/write speed isn't all that important to me since I have the patience for it, and all I'm looking to do is get more storage for a lower price and I just want to see what any of your opinions might be on the overall quality of the drive in question.

Now for the drive in question, it is:
Seagate 4 TB Terascale HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
not very helpful at all.
not even your personal opinion either which is what I was asking for.

the drive in question isn't even in the list of drives.

The next expensive drive up on PCPP costs $75 which is $5 more and that one is in the list, however, for that price I can get the next one in the list which is an HGST drive but it's 7200rpm, so in that scenario I would want the faster drive, but then that drive isn't on that list so I'm left still needing an opinion on the drive in question thanks.

It would probably be fine, although make sure that you're actually getting a new hard drive not one that was pulled from a data center or something (the seller in that link would concern me a little)

In some tests Seagate has shown to be a little less reliable than other manufacturers, but the gap isn't significant enough to worry me personally.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
It would probably be fine, although make sure that you're actually getting a new hard drive not one that was pulled from a data center or something (the seller in that link would concern me a little)

In some tests Seagate has shown to be a little less reliable than other manufacturers, but the gap isn't significant enough to worry me personally.
Yeah, I am aware that I will need to run a SMART test first thing to see if it's been used or not.
Thanks for the input on the matter.

not very helpful at all.
not even your personal opinion either which is what I was asking for.

the drive in question isn't even in the list of drives.

The next expensive drive up on PCPP costs $75 which is $5 more and that one is in the list, however, for that price I can get the next one in the list which is an HGST drive but it's 7200rpm, so in that scenario I would want the faster drive, but then that drive isn't on that list so I'm left still needing an opinion on the drive in question thanks.
If its too complicated for you to understand, I can understand your frustration.
HGST is very nice, a lot more reliable. Seagate doesn't have a great reliability performance.
Saying that, personally Hitachi is the most reliable I've ever used, but since I have to go with things like WD Red Pro's they still fail a lot.