[SOLVED] Need a second opinion on an upgrade

kidreckon

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
HI all, i need a second opinion on this upgrade that im planning.

My current rig specs are as follows :
Leonovo Mahobay Motherboard
Intel i5 3350p
AMD RX 570 4GB
500W PSU
Kingston HYPERX 16 GB DDR3 1600 MHZ

i found my CPU to be causing bottlenecks in cpu intensive games especially PUBG and surprisingly FPS dips in CSGO too, from 120 ish to suddenly 80-90. I'm gaming on 900p fyi.

After digging in the internet and online shops, I have settled with fourupgrade options :

Option 1 = $175.17
AMD Ryzen 3 3200G
ASROCK A320M-HDV
Kingston DDR4 8GB PC19200 2400Mhz

Option 2 = $168.43
Intel Core i3-9100F
MSI chipset H310M PRO-VH
Kingstone DDR4 8GB PC19200 2400Mhz

Option 3 = $132.10
Used Rzyen 5 1500x
Used BIOSTAR A320MH PRO Mobo
Samsung DDR4 8GB 2400mhz

Option 4 = 52.84
Save money and replace only CPU with = Intel Xeon E3-1280 V2

Which do you think is the best deal? Is switching to a xeon equivalent to I7 3770K enough for 2020?

Solution
Option 4 would make the system usable for another year or two and allow you to save for a big upgrade down the road. However, there is no guarantee that your motherboard will support that CPU. Without knowing the exact system we cannot know if there is support. It might be only able to support the i7 series and not Xeon.

Option 1 & 2 are hard to recommend due to motherboard/CPU compatibility. The H310 & A320 (if lucky on the A320) both require BIOS updates before those CPUs are supported. As far as I can tell neither of those motherboards support BIOS updates without a CPU installed and with those CPUs installed you will not be able to get into the BIOS.

Option 3 isn't a good option either as used components can have issues and the...
Option 4 would make the system usable for another year or two and allow you to save for a big upgrade down the road. However, there is no guarantee that your motherboard will support that CPU. Without knowing the exact system we cannot know if there is support. It might be only able to support the i7 series and not Xeon.

Option 1 & 2 are hard to recommend due to motherboard/CPU compatibility. The H310 & A320 (if lucky on the A320) both require BIOS updates before those CPUs are supported. As far as I can tell neither of those motherboards support BIOS updates without a CPU installed and with those CPUs installed you will not be able to get into the BIOS.

Option 3 isn't a good option either as used components can have issues and the difference in cost between that and new is minimal.

Option 5 - what is your budget in local currency and where are you located?

Solution
I7 3770k is still a pretty good performer in 2020. Given how cheap the Xeon equivilants can be, that would be my route. Should give you a couple more years of life out of your old system and would be my preferred option.
Without knowing what system it is we cannot say that the Xeon will be supported. I personally would hate to say to go with option 4 and then have the money wasted on the CPU because the BIOS doesn't support that CPU.

foroomate

Honorable
May 18, 2018
What about Ryzen 1600AF + 8gb ddr4 + Mobo that will fit your budget?

If the 1600AF is still available for about 85$ it's a good deal. It should be better than 1500x.

85$ for the CPU and about 40$ for the RAM and you're currently at 125$. Some b450 motherboards cost less than 70$ or you can get an A320 for less than 60$

*Edit: are you sure it's Xeon e3 1280 v2 for 52$? I see them for no less than 110$

Last edited:
Without knowing what system it is we cannot say that the Xeon will be supported. I personally would hate to say to go with option 4 and then have the money wasted on the CPU because the BIOS doesn't support that CPU.
I would check, but it may not be helpful.

Most LGA 1155 prebuilts never had a Xeon option from the factory, so often you will not find the manufacturer directly state these Xeons are supported.

There is a chance it may list the E3 1280 under the supported list, but even if the Xeon isn't listed, it may still work. I have seen plenty of YouTube channels use similar Xeons in prebuilt systems that do not explicitly list the Xeons as supported.

May be worthwhile to look and see from forum posts and such if anyone has tried the combo.

kidreckon

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013

Option 3 isn't a good option either as used components can have issues and the difference in cost between that and new is minimal.

Option 5 - what is your budget in local currency and where are you located?

1. I have actually done some research about the Xeon's compatibility and managed to find a CPU-Z validated benchmark of a guy who owns the same motherboard as i do using an Intel Xeon E3-1280 V2 = https://valid.x86.fr/n6uv0c
That's my only proof if the mobo is compatible lol. But he has a different BIOS version tho, and i cant seem to know how to update mine.

2. Any recommendations for a budget motherboard that doesnt need to update BIOS?

3. Im from Indonesia. I plan to sell my old CPU +Ram +mobo for 1,000,000 IDR. And i've taken out 1,500,000 IDR from my savings .
So my budget is around 2,500,000 IDR = $165.13

kidreckon

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
I found this CPU-Z validated benchmark of a guy who owns the same motherboard but using a Xeon e3 1280 v2. Is this a strong enough evidence that my mobo is suitable? https://valid.x86.fr/n6uv0c

kidreckon

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
What about Ryzen 1600AF + 8gb ddr4 + Mobo that will fit your budget?

If the 1600AF is still available for about 85$ it's a good deal. It should be better than 1500x.

85$ for the CPU and about 40$ for the RAM and you're currently at 125$. Some b450 motherboards cost less than 70$ or you can get an A320 for less than 60$

*Edit: are you sure it's Xeon e3 1280 v2 for 52$? I see them for no less than 110$
I cant seem to find 1600AF in any online marketplace in my country (Indonesia). Regardless, that would add up to a total of about $190 ish and i think its too much for me 😁

Woops, its actually 80 dollars ish but the seller agreed for a trade in with my old cpu so i can pay for only 52$ :)

Reactions: foroomate
I cant seem to find 1600AF in any online marketplace in my country (Indonesia). Regardless, that would add up to a total of about $190 ish and i think its too much for me 😁

Woops, its actually 80 dollars ish but the seller agreed for a trade in with my old cpu so i can pay for only 52$ :)
A B450 motherboard will work just fine with that CPU. Typically there is only a minor difference in price between the A320's and B450's.

Reactions: foroomate