[SOLVED] Need a second opinion on these motherboards!

Aug 19, 2020
I'm looking at these motherboards for this build.

Any recommendations? I know nothing about motherboards and interested to learn what I need!

Solution
Have you looked them up in the document referenced here:

Tons of good info on lots of boards.
Hi, and welcome to the forum

Any reson you want to go with a Core i5 9400F?

Depending on your use case you could be better with other options, specially since theres the 10th gen intel and theres AMD Ryzen too.

Care to share with us what are you going to use the PC for, what are your needs?

And about your build, you don't need that CPU cooler, the i5 9400F if brand new on its closed box, it already comes with a stock cooler.

Reactions: Shaneen

Reactions: RodroX and Shaneen
Solution
Aug 19, 2020
Thanks RodroX - this is actually my current PC (minus the case + motherboard) and you're right about the cooler - I was just throwing one in to measure the wattage cause I couldn't find the stock fan that comes with it.

I need the small motherboard to fit the new case I have. All ready to go just need to switch everything onto an appropriate motherboard :)

I play a bit of WoW and Overwatch - nothing too serious!

Reactions: RodroX
Aug 19, 2020

Okay so from that priority list - Asus Prime B365M-K seems the best?

Reactions: RodroX
The differences are in the chipset used; H310 vs. B365.
Here is a link which charts the differences:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1151
As you can see, there is really no important difference for your usage.
All the brands are decent so, perhaps, the least expensive would be best.

The i5-9400f normally comes with a stock cooler which is adequate.
If the processor you bought did not include it, the cooler you linked is similar.
They can be tricky to install well,
See my canned instructions at the end.

One thing to be careful about is that H310 chipset motherboards will need a certain level of bios to support a i5-9400f. That is not a problem with fresh stock since motherboards will include the latest bios available at time of manufacture.

Why do you have two ssd devices?
Usually a single 1tb ssd will cost less and perform a tad better.
It is easiest to manage a single C drive space.
Past that, these motherboards will support higher performing m,2 pcie devices.
Good options would be 1tb m.2 pcie ssd's like the intel 660p or 665p

----------------how to mount the stock Intel cooler--------------

The stock Intel cooler can be tricky to install.
A poor installation will result in higher cpu temperatures.
If properly mounted, you should expect temperatures at idle to be 10-15c. over ambient.

To mount the Intel stock cooler properly, place the motherboard on top of the foam or cardboard backing that was packed with the motherboard.
The stock cooler will come with paste pre applied, it looks like three grey strips.
The 4 push pins should come in the proper position for installation, that is with the pins rotated in the opposite direction of the arrow,(clockwise)
and pulled up as far as they can go.
Take the time to play with the pushpin mechanism until you know how they work.

Orient the 4 pins so that they are exactly over the motherboard holes.
If one is out of place, you will damage the pins which are delicate.
Push down on a DIAGONAL pair of pins at the same time. Then the other pair.

When you push down on the top black pins, it expands the white plastic pins to fix the cooler in place.

If you do them one at a time, you will not get the cooler on straight.
Lastly, look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are equally through the motherboard, and that the cooler is on firmly.
This last step must be done, which is why the motherboard should be out of the case to do the job. Or you need a case with a opening that lets you see the pins.
It is possible to mount the cooler with the motherboard mounted in the case, but you can then never be certain that the push pins are inserted properly
unless you can verify that the pins are through the motherboard and locked.

If you should need to remove the cooler, turn the pins counter clockwise to unlock them.
You will need to clean off the old paste and reapply new if you ever take the cooler off.
Clean off old paste with alcohol and a lint free paper like a coffee filter.
Apply new paste sparingly. A small rice sized drop in the center will spread our under heat and pressure.
Too much paste is bad, it will act as an insulator.
It is hard to use too little.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SteelStruck

Prominent
Jul 31, 2020
I would go with one of the b365 motherboards because the i5-9400f is a very nice processor, and you are probably going to want to upgrade with the 9400f in the future, it might cost a little bit more now but will save you headaches down the line and give you more expandability options. If you want some advice though once you have a bit of cash saved up and the gtx1060 can't pull it's weight any more get a better GPU the i5-9400f can certainly handle it. Oh yeah you might want to get a better CPU cooler as well, the intel stock cooler isn't very good and a hyper 212 Evo or something like it is not too expensive.