Question Need a socket G2 desktop motherboard with 3rd Gen Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandbox242

Distinguished
May 8, 2013
So long story short, I bought an Ivy Bridge i7 3720qm, hoping I could upgrade a laptop Sandy Bridge i3. Even after updating the BIOS to the latest one, the machine won't boot with the i7, so now I'm looking for a desktop board that will support it. I've found desktop socket G2 motherboards advertised to support 2nd gen, but they're $200+. Hoping someone could help me find some listings for a desktop mobo with G2 3rd gen support, with a PCIE slot for a GPU and hopefully under $200.

Also, I'm curious about heatsink support for these boards as well. I'm assuming that because it's a unique socket type that it might require some unique cooling sulutions.

Last edited:

sandbox242

Distinguished
May 8, 2013
Most of desktop boards supporting 2012 CPU will be expensive, not worth the $50 you've paid for that CPU.
On a more productive note, I've found a board I'm interested in. It's the Jetway NF9G-QM77. The Amazon listing for this board states Gen 2 support, but there's an old newegg listing that states Gen 3 support. Jetway's website shows it does have Gen 3 support, but that still leaves the concern over pricing. The Amazon listing is for $235, which is actually relatively decent when you compare it to some other boards that can be found for over $400.
Honestly I've been looking for quite a while and I think it's the best I'm going to find. I may have to go for it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS