[SOLVED] Need a suggestion

BallisticFPZ

Reputable
Jun 1, 2020
Hey, I am looking to upgrade my GPU (from a gtx 770) but I'm not sure what I should be going for. At the moment I am running an i5-4690(non-K) and 8gb of g.skill ripjaws ddr3 memory(looking to upgrade to 16 soon). Mobo is Asus gryphon z87 and I have an ATX 650W 80 plus gold LDLC PSU. What kind of GPU would be a good upgrade for me, from my gtx 770?

Thank you.

Solution
no idea where you're getting such numbers. and as i already said a "bottleneck" does not mean a loss of performance. it simply means that the gpu will not be able to do as much as it theoretically can. the cpu will not be able to feed the gpu fast enough. but it will still be able to ask everything of it that it would for a weaker gpu.

if the cpu can ask for 100 frames per second, then if the gpu can handle 100 fps, then it will do it. if it can handle 300 fps, then it would still put out the 100 fps the cpu is asking it to do and will just be able to do more if asked of it. the cpu is the limiting factor and the gpu can only do as much work as it is asked to do.

on the flip side, if the gpu is too weak then the cpu asking for 100...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
really depends on your goals for the gpu.

i'd say a 2060 is about as high as i'd go with the cpu. but for 1080p its rather much so something like a 1660 super/ti would be a good match. but for higher resolution more gpu is ok since the burden falls to the gpu more. .

so again depends on your goals for the system.

BallisticFPZ

Reputable
Jun 1, 2020
really depends on your goals for the gpu.

i'd say a 2060 is about as high as i'd go with the cpu. but for 1080p its rather much so something like a 1660 super/ti would be a good match. but for higher resolution more gpu is ok since the burden falls to the gpu more. .

so again depends on your goals for the system.
Yeah im looking to do 1080p gaming. Thank you for the suggestion.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
2060 would put you in good shape that can transfer to whatever you replace the system with.

i recently went from a 4690k set-up to a ryzen 3700x and man is it night and day. mainly i wanted more cores/threads to work with lots of VM's but everything is so much faster than what it replaced. it is still in use elsewhere in the house and a great cpu for its day but things have come a long way since that cpu was king of the hill :)

BallisticFPZ

Reputable
Jun 1, 2020
2060 would put you in good shape that can transfer to whatever you replace the system with.

i recently went from a 4690k set-up to a ryzen 3700x and man is it night and day. mainly i wanted more cores/threads to work with lots of VM's but everything is so much faster than what it replaced. it is still in use elsewhere in the house and a great cpu for its day but things have come a long way since that cpu was king of the hill :)
Would my cpu not bottleneck the 2060?
And definitely for its time this cpu is amazing

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
at 1080p it will be a bit of a bottleneck but that is not going to hurt the pc in any way, it just means the gpu will not run flat out as it waits for the cpu to send it more work.

as noted a couple times now, getting a better gpu now will be helpful when you upgrade as it is one less part you'll have to worry about then. spend less now on a lesser gpu and you'll only double spend down the line when you want to upgrade the system and need another new gpu anyway

BallisticFPZ

Reputable
Jun 1, 2020
at 1080p it will be a bit of a bottleneck but that is not going to hurt the pc in any way, it just means the gpu will not run flat out as it waits for the cpu to send it more work.

as noted a couple times now, getting a better gpu now will be helpful when you upgrade as it is one less part you'll have to worry about then. spend less now on a lesser gpu and you'll only double spend down the line when you want to upgrade the system and need another new gpu anyway
Yea I agree with you there, but the bottleneck will be close to 40%, won't that be a huge hit on my fps?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
no idea where you're getting such numbers. and as i already said a "bottleneck" does not mean a loss of performance. it simply means that the gpu will not be able to do as much as it theoretically can. the cpu will not be able to feed the gpu fast enough. but it will still be able to ask everything of it that it would for a weaker gpu.

if the cpu can ask for 100 frames per second, then if the gpu can handle 100 fps, then it will do it. if it can handle 300 fps, then it would still put out the 100 fps the cpu is asking it to do and will just be able to do more if asked of it. the cpu is the limiting factor and the gpu can only do as much work as it is asked to do.

on the flip side, if the gpu is too weak then the cpu asking for 100 fps won't happen. the gpu will put out what it can and not be able to do the rest. THERE IS ALWAYS A BOTTLENECK OF SOME KIND IN ANY MACHINE YOU BUILD!!!

don't know what kind of online garbage you're looking at but you do not lose any performance from the system, but rather the gpu just won't be asked to do as much as it truly can. i don't know how else to say this.....

Solution

BallisticFPZ

Reputable
Jun 1, 2020

on the flip side, if the gpu is too weak then the cpu asking for 100 fps won't happen. the gpu will put out what it can and not be able to do the rest. THERE IS ALWAYS A BOTTLENECK OF SOME KIND IN ANY MACHINE YOU BUILD!!!

don't know what kind of online garbage you're looking at but you do not lose any performance from the system, but rather the gpu just won't be asked to do as much as it truly can. i don't know how else to say this.....
Ah, I did not understand how you explained it the first time. Thank you very much for your answer.