[SOLVED] Need a upgrade but is it worth the money

Ashley Knott

Reputable
May 5, 2020
Hello everyone. I need to upgrade my Graphics card but need to know if it's worth it

Here are my current specs

Motherboard: ROG Strix X570X-F Gaming
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor ~3.6GHz (Water cooled by cooler master)
RAM: Ballistix 16GB (two 8gb sticks)
GPU: GEFORCE GTX 1060 3gb (took out old PC)

& my monitor is Predator X34P, 34in (Ultra Widescreen)

Do to the pandemic there isn't alot of cards around so is this card worth the money as an upgrade & should it be able to play games like Halo Infinite later this year?

Here is the card in question
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pali...i-express-graphics-card-no-rgb-gx-063-pl.html

Solution
That is DEFINITELY throwing your money away. Just keep saving them and get you a 3060/ti when the prices will normalize. That would be an actual upgrade, not a 1060 for a 2060 (a low quality one at that).

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Well technically, they released months ago. They just can't be found due to massive shortage all across the "gpu board" lol. End of the year if you're lucky? Right now it's just not a good time to upgrade anything unless you NEED TO (and by that, i mean it breaks).

Ashley Knott

Reputable
May 5, 2020
Well technically, they released months ago. They just can't be found due to massive shortage all across the "gpu board" lol. End of the year if you're lucky? Right now it's just not a good time to upgrade anything unless you NEED TO (and by that, i mean it breaks).

Shame as i was really looking forward to playing Halo Infinite on PC. Will just have to be on the Series X for now then

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Now isn't the time to be buying video cards. The prices are insanely high. I'd try to get by with whatever video solution you may already have in your possession until the madness dies down, otherwise you are going to take a massive hit in depreciation when the bottom drops out of the market. It's not worth paying $1500 for a video card with a $400 MSRP when in a few years, it will only be worth $250. If you can find one on a store shelf being sold for MSRP, then grab it, but if you have to pay scalpers prices, wait.

Hello everyone. I need to upgrade my Graphics card but need to know if it's worth it

Here are my current specs

Motherboard: ROG Strix X570X-F Gaming
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor ~3.6GHz (Water cooled by cooler master)
RAM: Ballistix 16GB (two 8gb sticks)
GPU: GEFORCE GTX 1060 3gb (took out old PC)

& my monitor is Predator X34P, 34in (Ultra Widescreen)

Do to the pandemic there isn't alot of cards around so is this card worth the money as an upgrade & should it be able to play games like Halo Infinite later this year?

Here is the card in question
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pali...i-express-graphics-card-no-rgb-gx-063-pl.html

No. Not worth it. Wait and let the scalpers and AIBs suck on it when things finally implode for crypto mining in GPUs

For example, during the last boom $750+ RX580 8GB were NOT uncommon. After the crash, I got a new one for $130 after MIR.

The 5700XT is faster than a 2060 and has 8 gigs of memory compared to the 2060's 6 Gigs, making it more future proof and faster. It was $400 new. Now each goes over $1000 regularly.

Again is one or two games this year worth that kind of premium? Is a single game you have to play this year worth a $600 markup, when by next year, the prices will be insanely low due to a glut of cards?

Again, people have more money than brains if they spend this kind of coin for video games. Get a next gen XBox for $500 and be done with it. You'll come out with a faster GPU system for less money that way. (As the XBox is optimized for gaming and doesn't sit on top of a lot of complex windows bloatware services)

Last edited: