Need abit of help.

Rikrak

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Hey all,

So, ok....I went and bought Mushkin 996902 Ridgeback PC3-16000 (2x2GB) DDR3 and the motherboard was going to be ASUS P7P55D-E PRO but the date got pushed back, and cant be bothered waiting, anyway i was looking at EVGA Intel X58 SLI3 Motherboard 131-GT-E767-TR insted, now since i already got the Mushkin ram, will it still work fine with this board? More like can i run it in dual channel? or will i have to get a extra stick to run it in triple?

Cheers

Hi Rikrak and welcome to Tom's forum.

You are a little lost here.

The 1st mobo ASUS P7P55D-E Pro is for Intel socket 1156 that means that is for i1, i5 and i7-8xx series. The 2nd mobo EVGA X58 SLI3 is for socket 1366 that only can run i7-9xx series.

My question is. What CPU do u have? or What CPU do u want?

Regarding the RAM if u go with the X58 SL3 and i7-9xx series is better go with a tri-channel kit for performance but that dual-channel can work without problem.

Rikrak

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010

Ah thanks, i'm not lost, i know that, what cpu i want to get depends of the board i'll get, I just wanted to know if it would work with that X58 board with the ram i mentioned, and you you said it does thats all i needed to know

Thanks, But in the future, could i just get 1 more stick of that ram, would it run in tri channel?

Both mobo and CPU (X58) support dual-channel so the current RAM can works without problem.

Now u have 50% possibilities that when u add the other RAM stick for tri-channel works without problems since for dual-channel and tri-channel is recommended that u use RAM sticks with the same specs and from the same manufacturer if that's possible for avoid problems. Sometimes works with different manufacturer and similar specs now the choice depends of u.

The problem is running your X58 MOBO in a configurable manner. I know you can run Dual Channel but 1. you cannot run Dual & Tri Channel, 2. mixing a {Dual Channel Kit + 1 Stick => Tri Channel} DDR3 stick is very unpredictable even with the same P/N stick.

I/we have even seen (2) Tri Channel Kits when randomly mixed together FAIL. An OP noted slight color variations between (2) Kits, once sorted and installed separately worked; {1,3,5} + {2,4,6}.

DDR3_GA.jpg