[SOLVED] Need Advanced Tech Advice

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 5, 2021
Hello everyone! Just joined Tom's Hardware!

I need advanced advice from any Tech who has dealt with components of graphics cards. I have bought two Nvidia GTX 760's 2GB with an SLI Bridge for $120. Not a bad deal at all. But that is not my true intention to use these graphic cards as is. I bought them for a theory of mine, which seems plausible.

The vram chipset/PCB for the Nvidia GTX 760 comes in 2GB & 4GB styles. But... Nvidia basically made the PCB board in one style, only difference is that one has 2GBs and one has 4GBs. On the 2GBs the prefix for the other 4 VRam clots are empty but 100% seems like if I bought the Hynix vram and soldered them on, technically I would have 4GBs of vram. The same amount of capacitors and cells are equal on either card. The only thing I know i might have to do is flash the bios and reinstall for the updated configuration.

So my question if anyone has tried this or can weigh in on it? Greatly appreciated.

Love to be a member.

Foxx

Solution
With more ram included (increased from 2Gbs to 4Gbs, equaling a total of 8Gbs of ram SLI.

Sli doesn't work that way. 2Gb + 2Gb = SLI 2Gb.

The way SLI works is each card works on half a frame, eg. top card works on the top half etc. So each card only has access to itself. The SLI bridge is there for the output of the second card, which is shunted into the primary card with the video output. So while the individual cards only have to render half the amount of pixels, the loss comes from the latency of the second card shipping it's half to the primary, and the primary having to combine both sides into a synchronous frame.

The bad part about SLI is its dependence on game code. If the game has little support for such, you won't...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Would that 2Gbs have a faster loading, running and process time than just one card? I believe yes. So two GTX 2gbs would perform better than 1 GTX 2gb.
Loading No, running No, process maybe.

Doesn't matter 1 gpu or 10 gpus, a frame comes the cpu only so fast, gets refreshed on the screen only so fast, but since each card only processes half a frame, sure. In one respect. In other respects, no. And that's highly dependent on the game code and its level of SLI support. There were more than a few games whose SLI support was so abysmal they actually got less fps on screen than a single card alone. Many games got equitable fps, many games got varying degrees of improvement, but no games got double or even close.