[SOLVED] Need advice about valve index and rift s.

Iniaskle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
Hi!

I have PSVR because at the time I bought it, I didn't have a good enough pc to run VR. Now I really love VR but PSVR is just not really good compared to any PCVR. There are a few reasons why I should get a Rift S or Valve Index. I will write the pros and cons of each headset so I can get some advice from people that have experience with these headsets. I have a PSVR and it runs at a nice 120hz. But does the 80hz from the Rift S suck? Or is it okay? Also I have an RX 5700XT paired with a Ryzen 5 3600 and 16GB 3200mhz ram. I dont even know if thats enough to play at 144 fps with the valve index at a nice quality and I know for sure that with 80hz I will be able to play all games with good video quality. I am 16 and I earn very few money so the Valve Index will take a long time to get. But if it's really worth it, I do want to go for it. Also my parents are divorced so at the end of the week I go back to my mom or dad. Here I have some reasons why I should get the rift s or valve index.

- Valve Index
PROS:
+Better tracking
+Better refresh rate
CONS:
-Very expensive headset
-Very expensive controllers
-I don't earn much money

-Oculus Rift S
PROS:
+Looks like it's easy to take from my dad to mom or from my mom to my dad.
+Way cheaper
+PC can probably handle all games at a nice quality
CONS
-Low refresh rate

I think I want to go with the rift s but If my PC can handle the Index at 120-144hz I might take the Index. The most important thing is the refresh rate for me. I come from a 120hz headset so it might feel bad for me. I do have a 75hz monitor and not a 144hz so 80hz might feel fine for me idk. I just need some advice from people that have used 120hz and know how 80hz feel. Thanks !!

Solution
Don't let the 80hz be a con for you, while it's lower it's still a smooth experience. Also the Rift S is really comfortable, more so then the original (I've owned both Rift's) and while I haven't tried the Index from the reviews I've read it's quite heavy compared to other headsets.

WildCard999

Titan
Don't let the 80hz be a con for you, while it's lower it's still a smooth experience. Also the Rift S is really comfortable, more so then the original (I've owned both Rift's) and while I haven't tried the Index from the reviews I've read it's quite heavy compared to other headsets.

Reactions: Iniaskle
Solution

Iniaskle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
Yeah, I am almost completely sure I will go with the Rift S, I've just watched a video from the Virtual Reality Oasis and he claims that the 80hz is not that noticable and that the 1 instead of 2 LCD panels is still very nice quality. He did say that you cannot change the IPD, is this still the case or did they update the software to make it possible?

WildCard999

Titan
The first Rift had it on the headset itself but I think with the S it's software based but I'm not entirely sure as I haven't owned the Rift S in a few months (returned due to my GPU at the time unable to run Big Screen + Games and I was interested in the Cosmos series so I had it for like a week. The original Rift I had for about a year).