[SOLVED] Need advice and comments on pc build plan

ironstem

Reputable
Aug 15, 2020
I've been wanting to build my first pc for a while now. I recently got a Lenovo IdeaCentre 510A-15ICB around July of this year since compared to my first desktop ever, it was worth it. This pc has an i5-8400, which I think is a perfect processor for my needs now and in the future. It also had 8 GB of ram, and about a month ago I upgraded it to 16 GB (more specifically Corsair Vegenace DDR4 2666 MHz) since I wanted to use it for this new pc build. The problem with the Lenovo IdeaCentre 510A-15ICB is that, unsurprisingly, it's not that upgradable. I should've realized that before I ordered it. I was originally thinking I could just upgrade the power supply, but here the problems. First of all, the power supply was TFX. That makes higher wattage TFX power supplys harder to find. Most importantly, it was proprietary. The power supply itself was only 180 watts, so it's basically the bare minimum of the amount of power the pc needs. Lenovo, you screwed up on that part. And don't get me started on my first desktop. It was an HP Compaq Elite 8000. To put it simply, the processor was Core 2 Duo, and it's power supply was also unreplaceable.

Now to make sure who ever is reading this understands my situation, I am only 14 years old, and by watching probably hundreds of videos worth of PC builds, guides, and literally anything related to Linus and Bitwit, I think I understand at least the basics of DIY pc making. It's come to my realization that I probably won't get a GTX 1650 super or anything 1600 series, so I've been thinking of getting a GTX 1050 TI low profile, literally one of the best sellers on Amazon. What I want to do is to get the GTX 1050 TI next year, when I build the pc, and later down the line I upgrade the graphics card.

Speaking of which, this is my plan on the pc build. The whole purpose of this pc is to actually have something that's easily upgradeable.
This list of parts is compatible, I've checked the motherboard website for my processors stepping (U0) and ram compatibility (also seems good)
  1. CPU is being reused
  2. 16 GB of ram (already have it)
  3. GTX 1050 Ti
  4. EVGA 600 BR
  5. Reusing 1 TB hard drive from pc I have now
  6. B365M PRO-VDH mobo
  7. Haven't decided on the case yet lmao

The question is that should I get the GTX 1050 TI for lightweight gaming, and then in the future I save up enough money for, let's say, a GTX 1650? I also wonder if these parts are balanced, because although they are compatible, there might be a bottleneck that I'm unaware of.
So, coming from the professionals, do you think I did somewhat good on this? I need comments.

Solution
thats a pretty good build, but choose 1650 super, and a 500w psu that is good enough, you wont need more than 600w for that spec. or maybe if you could sell all of them execpt for the hdd, maybe you could get an i5 10400f + h410 + used rx 570, prettymuch bang for the buck. i prefer to build a new one if the price of upgrd is almost the same as building a new one hehe
thats a pretty good build, but choose 1650 super, and a 500w psu that is good enough, you wont need more than 600w for that spec. or maybe if you could sell all of them execpt for the hdd, maybe you could get an i5 10400f + h410 + used rx 570, prettymuch bang for the buck. i prefer to build a new one if the price of upgrd is almost the same as building a new one hehe

Solution

ironstem

Reputable
Aug 15, 2020
Alright thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I didn't even think of selling my my old pc, silly me.

A GTX1050ti is a relatively low powered (75w)card that does not need a aux power lead.
Since your i5-8400 is also not a power hungry processor(65w tdp), I think you could run a GTX1050ti.
To be safe, you could certainly use a GT1030 GDDR5 card which only uses 30w.
It would be a big jump over integrated graphics.

ironstem

Reputable
Aug 15, 2020
A GTX1050ti is a relatively low powered (75w)card that does not need a aux power lead.
Since your i5-8400 is also not a power hungry processor(65w tdp), I think you could run a GTX1050ti.
To be safe, you could certainly use a GT1030 GDDR5 card which only uses 30w.
It would be a big jump over integrated graphics.
I know that, but the GTX 1050 TI is again, perfect for my needs. In my old pc, the GT 1030 would have been the perfect card. I upgraded the processor from a Core 2 Duo to a Quad, which I don't exactly remember which models they were. Basically, the GT 1030 paired with the i5-8400 isn't what I need.

I've also made an updated plan. I'll sell my old pc along with the original processor that it came with. I'll use that money wisely to buy one of the parts. I currently have a 25$ Amazon gift card that I've been saving since my birthday, and those last for an entire year so I can eventually use it for another part.

1. Sell my old pc + original processor
  2. Use that money along with saved up money to buy a new case, motherboard and possibly 2 120mm fans
  3. Reuse the processor, ram, hard drive and power supply (from my dad's new desktop that he doesn't use at all) to literally make a new pc
  4. In a few months I replace the power supply to 500 watts (current one isn't 80 plus rated for some reason)
  5. Later I buy a graphics card after saving up more money (this is probably happen in a year or two)
I think this is the best plan yet because I basically still have my own computer, just a different case and motherboard. I already have a 470 watt power supply from my dad's desktop which he currently does not need, and later I could just replace it to 500 watts with an 80 plus bronze rating. This power supply doesn't have any rating, and since it's 470 and I won't have a graphics card, it's pretty much overkill. I'm probably going to do this around summer time next year, and when it's my birthday I can get the graphics card. Plus, I might even get something different than the GTX 1050 TI, not the GT 1030 though. What do you think?

Last edited:
Why not just buy the GTX1050ti since it is right sized for your needs.
I think you will be fine with it, even with the 180w psu.
That is your lowest cost option.
In the event that it does not work, you still have the card for whenever you do upgrade the rest of the build.

What is your budget?
I have seen the i3-10100 as low as $100:
https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i3-10100-core-i3-10th-gen/p/N82E16819118138
The i3-10100 is a very good budget gaming processor.
Here is a review:
I built one for my son.
It runs fine with the stock cooler in a fanless case.

Any lga 1200 motherboard will do.
Here is one for $75:
https://www.newegg.com/msi-b460m-a-pro/p/N82E16813144316?&quicklink=true
Use your ram and dad's psu.
Unless you have cats wandering around, you can just lay out the parts on a table for a while without a case.
But, one of the nicest budget cases I have seen is the fractal design focus G for $40.
https://www.newegg.com/petrol-blue-fractal-design-focus-g-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352073

Last edited:

ironstem

Reputable
Aug 15, 2020
In the event that it does not work, you still have the card for whenever you do upgrade the rest of the build.
Okay, first off all, I can't even put in a GT 710 in this pc. Like I said before, it's not upgradable at all, besides ram. The case and motherboard is only $122, and I already have money saved up. I'm sure I can get enough by selling the old pc, and even if I don't, all I need to do is mow 10 lawns and then I'm good.

The GTX 1050 TI itself is $156. It's not worth buying it instead of buying the case and motherboard. I already have the processor, the power supply, the ram and the hard drive. If I buy the graphics card instead of those two things, it'll be like buying a subscription for a membership in order to do one simple thing. That's all I can tell you though, plans might still change.

ironstem

Reputable
Aug 15, 2020

What is your budget?
I have seen the i3-10100 as low as $100:
https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i3-10100-core-i3-10th-gen/p/N82E16819118138
The i3-10100 is a very good budget gaming processor.
Here is a review:
I built one for my son.
It runs fine with the stock cooler in a fanless case.

Any lga 1200 motherboard will do.
Here is one for $75:
https://www.newegg.com/msi-b460m-a-pro/p/N82E16813144316?&quicklink=true
Use your ram and dad's psu.
Unless you have cats wandering around, you can just lay out the parts on a table for a while without a case.
But, one of the nicest budget cases I have seen is the fractal design focus G for $40.
https://www.newegg.com/petrol-blue-fractal-design-focus-g-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352073
My budget's around $300, only because I'm reusing my processor from the pc I have now. I don't think I'll be buying another processor because of the fact that it can run Minecraft 60 fps at 720p. I don't think I'll be upgrading my monitor anytime soon, and I also don't play Minecraft regularly. I just used it as an example of what it can do.

Also, I don't use newegg, sorry. I don't think my dad will ever use a website besides Amazon unfortunately.

ironstem

Reputable
Aug 15, 2020
Even though if I buy the case and motherboard and use the rest of the parts, it'll still give me the same performance. That's the whole point. The whole purpose of this build is to have something easily upgradable.

Edit: I found a more expensive case but has better airflow. The cost of the case and motherboard is $140, still less than the GTX 1050 TI. It's not worth it man.

Last edited: