[SOLVED] Need advice and recommendation for a 1000w power supply.

JinxTheWorld

Commendable
Jan 10, 2021
Currently have a 800w generic bronze PSU. I ordered a 1000w Thermaltake toughpower when i selected components from Ibuypower. Found out they switched it a year later when i changed PC case to Anidees AI Crystal Cube AR V3 Dual Chamber lol. At this point it's pointless to call them and complain.

Anyways i know very little about PSU's and looking around it's hard to tell what's good and what's not. Looked at a few on amazon, but when going down to the reviews there are a lot of... bad experiences.

This is for the upcoming refresh. Ryzen 7000 series with DDR5 and the corresponding MoBo. Also the Nvidia 4000 series which is expected to have very high power draws (though this may be a minute due to low stock when released).

What i am looking for:
  1. 1000w (4000 series nvidia are rumored to have crazy high power draws, so wanna get ahead of it)
  2. Gold/Platinum/titanium power efficiency (Not that important, but generally one would think those designations would correspond to higher quality components with more rigorous QA checks)
  3. One with a warranty that will cover any damage to components incase of factory defects and honor said warranty.
  4. Semi-modular is preferable due to my lack of experience and knowledge but fully modular is fine. I'll just have to learn some more PC stuff.
  5. $300 spending limit, though i would prefer to stay within $200 limit.

Thank you to those that would be willing to look around and find me a good quality PSU.

Solution
I looked at the PSU on amazon and in the comments were some questionable things. Some of the PC frying complaints and DOA as well.

So i spent a couple more hours searching and i found this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-SSR-1000GD-ATX12V-Modular-Warranty/dp/B075M4FVPT

What do you think? Look solid? Should i look more?
There is no PC part that is 100% failure proof. But you need to compare the unit volume per failure rate. In a bunch of 1000 there can be a couple of grey apples. Doesn't mean the entire bunch is bad. I have heard nothing but good things about that PSU and it also comes with a solid 10yr warranty. Seasonic is good too if you want to go with that. Do keep in mind the issue mentioned above though.
The ratings given by manufacturers are sometimes misleading, unless independently reviewed...

This should be good...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
Power Supply | Corsair HX Platinum 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $189.99 @ Newegg
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $209.99
| Mail-in rebates | -$20.00
| Total | $189.99
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-03-14 02:13 EDT-0400 |

Gold/Platinum/titanium power efficiency (Not that important, but generally one would think those designations would correspond to higher quality components with more rigorous QA checks)..................

.......................One with a warranty that will cover any damage to components incase of factory defects and honor said warranty.

Not sure I'd go out on a limb very far regarding a correlation between efficiency and "quality".

Re warranty: I'd be skeptical about any damage to components warranty coverage. PSU failure, yes. Resultant damage to other components, no. You'd be asked to prove it and you can imagine the hoops you will be asked to jump through.

JinxTheWorld

Commendable
Jan 10, 2021

JinxTheWorld

Commendable
Jan 10, 2021
Not sure I'd go out on a limb very far regarding a correlation between efficiency and "quality".

Re warranty: I'd be skeptical about any damage to components warranty coverage. PSU failure, yes. Resultant damage to other components, no. You'd be asked to prove it and you can imagine the hoops you will be asked to jump through.

Yeah i don't know a whole lot about PSU. I do know that it is a reference to its supposed power efficiency which isn't very important for me. Though due to increased pricing it gives the impression better parts are used.

Yeah that is my concern. I want to get a better PSU but i don't want to fry/damage a $350 CPU, $300 RAM, $100 MoBo, $800 GPU, and a $200 sound card if i just so happen to get a super unlucky draw. So i am being very cautious about this.

So far Seasonic seems to be the most reputable regarding failure rates. So i think ima go with them. Corsair from reading numerous amazon reviews seems to have the most failures and DOA units.

Seasonic Prime has issues with high-end GPUs like RTX 3080 and up, it has An analog fancontrol instead of a MCU, 18g wire for PCI-E, 40 degree rating at 100% load. Corsair HX is way better.

Most of the negative reviews at Amazon are user errors, mostly using the wrong cables.

I looked at the PSU on amazon and in the comments were some questionable things. Some of the PC frying complaints and DOA as well.

So i spent a couple more hours searching and i found this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-SSR-1000GD-ATX12V-Modular-Warranty/dp/B075M4FVPT

What do you think? Look solid? Should i look more?
There is no PC part that is 100% failure proof. But you need to compare the unit volume per failure rate. In a bunch of 1000 there can be a couple of grey apples. Doesn't mean the entire bunch is bad. I have heard nothing but good things about that PSU and it also comes with a solid 10yr warranty. Seasonic is good too if you want to go with that. Do keep in mind the issue mentioned above though.

Solution