Need Advice and Tips with Build Upgrade

Bakesale45

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
I am looking to upgrade my current rig, however I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to which hardware I should get, which ones work best and which brands are the best bang for your buck.

Here is my current rig https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Bakesale45/saved/MDDRGX. I'm pretty content with it for now, but I still want a major upgrade.

I play mostly FPS and do video editing and I want to get serious into streaming. Here is the upgrade list I came up with and had a few questions https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Bakesale45/saved/8mwYTW.

1. I do not wan't to splurge much more on a CPU than the 8400, but is it worth the upgrade from the 6500 to 8400 or should I bite the bullet and look towards i7s?

2. Is a 1080 worth the upgrade from the rx580 or should I go for the newer 1080ti? For either, which 1080 and 1080 ti are the best get for the buck?

3. Will DDR4-3000 and DDR4-2400 work in the same motherboard at the same time? I know there are cheaper ram options but I would like RGB feel, unless someone has a better recommendation. $170 is my soft limit for 2x8 RAM.

4. The power supply both suffices for wattage and is a quality power supply, correct?

5. I am looking for a new monitor. I am currently playing on an 11 year old television so I think a 2nd, better monitor is much needed. My limit hard limit on one is $350. I am looking for anywhere between 24" and 29" monitor, 1ms and preferably 144 hz.

6. When I switch out my motherboard, will I have to change any settings besides the ones in BIOS? All of my Windows settings will be saved on my current HDD correct? How do I transfer that same info to my SSD? Will I have to delete Windows off of my HDD when I install it onto my SSD?

7. My biggest question is I will not be buying these all at once, these will be bought in segments. What order should I buy these parts in? PSU? Motherboard? etc. Are there certain times of the year or coming up that I should buy any of these parts?

If you have any other part suggestions or first time upgrade advice I'd appreciate the input. Thank you very much in advance!

Solution
1 - CPU wise, instead of the i5-8400, I would go with the i5-8600K. Same price, but better clock speeds on the i5-8600K, plus the ability to overclock. As for the i7, getting an i7 just for gaming in my opinion is not worth it.

2 - There's a pretty significant increase in performance between the regular 1080 and the RX580. The difference between the 1080 and the 1080ti is smaller but still noticeable, about 20%. Since the new RTX cards are out, you could probably pick up a used one for a good price.

If you don't want to get a used card (which I can understand), it's really a case of budget, how much do you want to spend? There's still a good price difference between both cards and your choice will rely on whether the performance...
New tech is coming out every year, I won’t plan so much ahead. What is your immediate major usage that you feel 6500 is not capable? Budget at hand? If you can get a cheap I7-7700, that will be a good upgrade for editing and streaming. For new platform, Ryzen 2600 will be better than 8th gen I5 for its doubles threads for editing and streaming. 8th gen I7 is pretty good but more expensive.

R3PLAY

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
1 - CPU wise, instead of the i5-8400, I would go with the i5-8600K. Same price, but better clock speeds on the i5-8600K, plus the ability to overclock. As for the i7, getting an i7 just for gaming in my opinion is not worth it.

2 - There's a pretty significant increase in performance between the regular 1080 and the RX580. The difference between the 1080 and the 1080ti is smaller but still noticeable, about 20%. Since the new RTX cards are out, you could probably pick up a used one for a good price.

If you don't want to get a used card (which I can understand), it's really a case of budget, how much do you want to spend? There's still a good price difference between both cards and your choice will rely on whether the performance increase is worth the money for you or not.

3 - A combination of different RAM sticks CAN work, but it is CERTAINLY not guaranteed. You could go for G.Skill trident, two sticks of 8GB, 3200MHz and it has RGB. The only drawback being that it's slightly above your 170$ budget.

4 - Assuming that you run a 1080ti and i5-8600k at stock speeds, your power supply should be around 500W. So you're on the edge.

5 - I recently picked up the MSI Optix MAG24C, it's 144Hz, 24", Curved and has a 1ms response time. I personally really like it, looks clean. Again, only drawback being that it's a little above your budget.

6 - I would certainly recommend doing a fresh Windows install, this being due to different drivers being needed on a different motherboard. If you use your old Windows install on a new motherboard, stuff will break due to Windows still trying to use the old drivers.

You could migrate your installation between disks, but this is more of a hassle than anything.

7 - It depends on the gap between purchases... If there's a big gap between them, get parts that you can you use in your current build, so you upgrade it step by step.

Some useful links (please keep in mind that prices on amazon might not be accurate):

MSI Optix monitor: https://www.amazon.de/MSI-Optix-MAG24C/dp/B07B49NNRQ
G.SKILL Memory: https://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-TridentZ-16GB-25600-F4-3200C16D-16GTZR/dp/B01MTDEYHU
i5-8600K: https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-8600K-Desktop-Processor-unlocked/dp/B0759FKH8K

Solution