[SOLVED] Need advice before updating to AGESA 1.0.03 ABBA and new drivers from AMD

HI all, so AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABBA has been out for a few weeks and its now available for my motherboard (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-Gaming-X-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios), I feel I should try it out.

But at the same time AMD has released a new set of Chipset Drivers - 1.9.27.1033 / 9/27/2019

So I used the filter on AMDs website too look for my own chipset (B450). The details of the new drivers go as follow:

Supports:
Windows® 7/10 for
2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processor
7th-Gen AMD A-Series Processors
AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processor
AMD X470 Chipset
AMD X370 Chipset
AMD B450 Chipset
AMD B350 Chipset
AMD A320 Chipset
Windows® 10 only for
3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processor
2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Processor
AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Processor
AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processor with Radeon™ Vega Graphics
AMD Ryzen™ Mobile Processor with Radeon™ Vega Graphics
AMD X399 Chipset
AMD X570 Chipset
This is an all-new chipset software installer with updated UI, optimized package size, package versioning unique to the chipset drivers, and improved installer performance.
Package Includes:
AMD Chipset Drivers
AMD Ryzen™ Power Plans (required for UEFI CPPC2 in Windows® 10 May 2019 Update)
Contains desktop idle optimizations for 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Processors

So the question is: Im almost sure I should update the drivers, but what will be the right order to go, first Drivers, shut down the PC and update BIOS or vice versa?

Thanks for any clarification

Last edited:
As far as I can tell it's simply a BIOS upgrade. As long as you have version F32 installed, you can upgrade to F40, then onto F42d. I'd upgrade the BIOS before installing/updating the driver.

I have F42b which I believe is a beta BIOS that was posted on the site (I saw it a few weeks ago) and now has been removed from the list. Its the BIOS that came with the motherboard.

I don't have F32 right now since Im using a Ryzen 5 3600 and F32 is not compatible with 3er gen. But I know that the motherboard was updated to F32 and then to F42b (which was the newer version at the time).

I don't have a previus gen Ryzen CPU, but I think as long as BIOS was update to F32 at some point I now can go to new F42d without any issues, or maybe I can't?

Last edited:

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I agree, if you currently have BIOS F42b, then you should set the BIOS to the Optimized Default settings then Reboot and flash the BIOS with the tool in your BIOS (Q-Flash) to update your BIOS.
Make sure to right click on the mb_bios_b450-gaming-x_f42d.zip file and check the Unblock box and click on Apply.
Then unzip it to the root directory of whichever drive you will be flashing it from.

Last edited:
Reactions: RodroX
I agree, if you current have BIOS F42b, then you should set the BIOS to the Optimized Default settings then Reboot and flash the BIOS with the tool in your BIOS (Q-Flash) to update your BIOS.
Make sure to right click on the mb_bios_b450-gaming-x_f42d.zip file and check the Unblock box and click on Apply.
Then unzip it to the root directory of whichever drive you will be flashing it from.

Thanks, yeap all ready and set in home, have the new BIOS unzipped on my pendrive.

I did hundreds of BIOS updates, I just don't wana mess this one up cause, as I wrote, I don't have a spare Ryzen 2nd Gen/Athlon/Apu.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMAN999