Question Need advice/confirmation - problem with either SSD/HDD or Motherboard

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 21, 2023
I recently installed a new SSD and moved everything from my old HDD to my new SSD. At first it was fine, then suddenly they were both super slow.
I formatted my SSD, removed my HDD, and installed a brand new instance of Windows from a bootable USB flash drive, and it was still suffering from the same performance issues. However, if I boot from an external USB SSD it has 0 issues.
At this point, I'm quite sure that it's a hardware issue since the issue persists even on a new Windows isntance. However, I do not know if I need to replace my Motherboard or my HDD & SSD.
Both of my Disks we working fine initially, then suddenly the both of them slowed down at the same time. I've updated my BIOS, I've tried testing with multiple SATA cables (one of which is 2 weeks old), and tried in different SATA ports after cleaning them with an air canister, but the problem persists.
Does this seem like it is indeed a problem with my motherboard? Perhaps a physical problem?

Jan 21, 2023
No, your HDDs isn't slow!
You are looking for a ghost...
Literally 3 weeks ago it was running perfectly fine.
Now randomly my disk is at 100% usage even if I don't have anything open. I understand it can seem like nothing is wrong, but I guess you're going to have to take my word for it. Even right now, for me to close tabs in chrome or to do things it is really slow, my chrome tabs are closing after a few seconds instead of instantly.
I even installed Ubuntu on a separate disk, fresh installation, and that was running slow, like I said.
I also formatted the other disk and freshly installed windows on it, but the issue persisted.

Literally 3 weeks ago it was running perfectly fine.
Now randomly my disk is at 100% usage even if I don't have anything open. I understand it can seem like nothing is wrong, but I guess you're going to have to take my word for it. Even right now, for me to close tabs in chrome or to do things it is really slow, my chrome tabs are closing after a few seconds instead of instantly.
I even installed Ubuntu on a separate disk, fresh installation, and that was running slow, like I said.
I also formatted the other disk and freshly installed windows on it, but the issue persisted.
Just to take a look download this.
UBM

Reboot.
Wait a few mins.
Run ubm with the browser closed.
Post a LINK to the results page.

Jan 21, 2023
a lot of the symptoms you're describing can be caused by bad RAM, or issues with memory compatibility, or even the memory controller.

even booting from an old HDD that is near to full shouldn't perform like your system is.

include your complete system specs in detail.

Here are my specs:
  • Intel® Core i7-9700K
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
  • 16GB RAM
  • PSU - MSI MPG A1000G
  • Motherboard - MSI Z390-A PRO LGA1151
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB
The thing is, if I boot from an external SSD it seems as though I have no issues.

Jan 21, 2023
Just to take a look download this.
UBM

Reboot.
Wait a few mins.
Run ubm with the browser closed.
Post a LINK to the results page.
I re-ran the test after rebooting and leaving my PC run without opening anything and this was the result this time. However, once I start doing things the results that I posted earlier are the results that I get.

Jan 21, 2023
Make sure your ram is in the proper slots and enable xmp.

Rerun ubm.
I installed the RAM I'm using 2 years ago and haven't touched them or made any changes to them. The issue that I'm facing at the moment is a recent issue and was introduced after I installed a new HDD, GPU, and PSI. I used partition wizard to copy everything over to my new 2TB HDD, and at first everything was fine but now I am randomly getting waves of 100% active time in task manager, even though in the processes they are at a normal level.
Having said this, shall I go ahead and re-run the test anyway?

I installed the RAM I'm using 2 years ago and haven't touched them or made any changes to them. The issue that I'm facing at the moment is a recent issue and was introduced after I installed a new HDD, GPU, and PSI. I used partition wizard to copy everything over to my new 2TB HDD, and at first everything was fine but now I am randomly getting waves of 100% active time in task manager, even though in the processes they are at a normal level.
Having said this, shall I go ahead and re-run the test anyway?
Just picking around the edges.

Make sure the ram is in the proper slots......see the manual.
Enable xmp in the bios.
After that is done rerun ubm.

Jan 21, 2023
Just picking around the edges.

Make sure the ram is in the proper slots......see the manual.
Enable xmp in the bios.
After that is done rerun ubm.
Here are the results with XMP. I'm not sure if the results here can really highlight the issue I am having because it really does come in waves. If I leave my PC alone it's fine, once I start opening applications, even chrome, it starts to seriously slow down.

Here are the results with XMP. I'm not sure if the results here can really highlight the issue I am having because it really does come in waves. If I leave my PC alone it's fine, once I start opening applications, even chrome, it starts to seriously slow down.
Looking better.
Where did you get the driver for the igp?

Storage.
It's your call what you want to do in this area.
I doubt you will ever get good perf running off a hdd.
An option is to get a 500GB ssd for the OS and apps and then use one of the hard disk for bulk storage.

Jan 21, 2023
Looking better.
Where did you get the driver for the igp?

Storage.
It's your call what you want to do in this area.
I doubt you will ever get good perf running off a hdd.
An option is to get a 500GB ssd for the OS and apps and then use one of the hard disk for bulk storage.
The thing is, I have another freshly formatted 2TB HDD that I installed Windows on, and the problem was the same there even after a fresh Windows installation which has led me to believe it's a hardware issue. It's a very recent issue.
Otherwise, I have ordered a new SSD that I'm going to move everything over to. I am essentially trying to pinpoint where the issue, and whether or not I need a new HDD/SSD or Motherboard.

The thing is, I have another freshly formatted 2TB HDD that I installed Windows on, and the problem was the same there even after a fresh Windows installation which has led me to believe it's a hardware issue. It's a very recent issue.
Otherwise, I have ordered a new SSD that I'm going to move everything over to. I am essentially trying to pinpoint where the issue, and whether or not I need a new HDD/SSD or Motherboard.
Moving from one hdd to another hdd won't help.
A hdd is just too slow.
Get a ssd in the mix and then see what the results are.