Need advice for a low budget quad core cpu

ledfoot12

Honorable
May 11, 2013
Hi everyone. I am new to tomshardware, and have a question for all you experts on the forums.

I am new to the art of pc building, and was researching a cheap quad core cpu. Now, I dont have a big budget and cant afford anything above $140 for a new cpu. I was looking at an Amd Phenom 2 x4 965 BE 3.4ghz 125w, for around 90 bucks. I do like to game a bit but I do not need to have max everything, I'll be happy if this cpu can support settings on medium. If you all could give me advice on this cpu and maybe a decent motherboard to go along with it, I'd be very grateful.

My old setup is really quite embarrassing, Amd Athlon 64 x2 4000+ 2ghz, 3gigs ram, 160gig hdd, Radeon HD 5570 1gig ddr3, not sure about the motherboard. You can see why I am turning to the experts on upgrade advice :p

Thanks for everyones time!

ledfoot12

Honorable
May 11, 2013
Yes I plan on replacing everything, I'm just starting with the cpu first. I don't kno anything about the fx6000 series. is having the extra 2 cores worth it, will I see a significant increase in performance? I am planning on a low budget build, between 4-500 dollars total. Like I said before I dont need ultra settings, I'll be happy with medium settings across the board. I really have no idea what I'm doing with building a pc, so advice for anything would be great. I hope that helps clear it up a bit, sorry >.<

Led if you need low cost gaming system look at new amd apu. There faster the your old CPU and have a better gpu built in. The other chip if you can wait for them to drop is the new haswell. Look like the onboard gpu on some of the chips on par with nvidia 650 gpu.

It is the GPU usually not the CPU that determines your game settings. There are a few games that have CPU issues but not many. A low CPU can bottleneck a highend GPU.

Depending on what you are bringing over from your old computer (case, hard drive, optical drive) I can throw together a system for that price and you can see what you like.

ledfoot12

Honorable
May 11, 2013
That would be great, thank you for being awesome! :)

I will be using my old SATA DVD/CD RW drive, and my case is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119227 My best friend has one of these and wil be giving it to me for a new pc build. I wont be bringing anything else over to the new build, I want a fresh start on a new pc. I will be open to anything you can throw together, I'm really not sure where I'd start and the only site I kno of that has great deals on pc parts is newegg. I appreciate all the help so far, I'm just a noob and need some guidance :p