• Now's your chance to speak with MSI directly! Join our AMA and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Ask your questions here.

Catch the next Tom's Hardware livestream on May 28 at 2PM Eastern: Catch the show here!

Need Hardware Help? Include the Info Requested Here.
  • Join our Best PC Builds competition and get on the Tom's Hardware home page. Check it out here.

Question Need advice for buying graphics card

Mar 21, 2020
Hello, i have a problem.I have this really old PSU ( chieftec gps-350eb-101a without external 6-pin connector ) and i am buying graphics card, but my budget is not that big so i am looking to get as much as possible for as less as possible.Can anyone recommend me some graphic cards that will not blow up my PSU or something like that?
Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't run any GPU on that PSU to be honest.

But if you still want to go ahead you will need to find a card that requires no external power such as a GTX 1050 and some GTX 1050ti's that don't require a 6 pin. You could also look for a GTX 1650 (Not the Super) again you need to check to make sure it doesn't require a 6 or 8 pin power.

Again I wouldn't recommend and GPU in that system with that power supply. Chieftec is a very very low quality, and being old doesn't help any either.

Mar 21, 2020
I wouldn't run any GPU on that PSU to be honest.

But if you still want to go ahead you will need to find a card that requires no external power such as a GTX 1050 and some GTX 1050ti's that don't require a 6 pin. You could also look for a GTX 1650 (Not the Super) again you need to check to make sure it doesn't require a 6 or 8 pin power.

Again I wouldn't recommend and GPU in that system with that power supply. Chieftec is a very very low quality, and being old doesn't help any either.
I know its old, i didn't know it was that bad power supply though.I thought it is good enough power supply,I am running friend's AMD Radeon HD 5570 that i repaired, nothing bad has happened for now, but i am willing to take a risk.Is there any good AMD graphics card that doesn't require 6-pin connector and can have PSU that is 350w?

I know its old, i didn't know it was that bad power supply though.I thought it is good enough power supply,I am running friend's AMD Radeon HD 5570 that i repaired, nothing bad has happened for now, but i am willing to take a risk.Is there any good AMD graphics card that doesn't require 6-pin connector and can have PSU that is 350w?
Get a Nvidia card, they require less power and generally will be more powerful. As I said I think the 1050ti and GTX 1650 (without a 6pin) is about the most powerful card you can get with the 1650 being alittle more powerful then the 1050ti.

Mar 21, 2020
Get a Nvidia card, they require less power and generally will be more powerful. As I said I think the 1050ti and GTX 1650 (without a 6pin) is about the most powerful card you can get with the 1650 being alittle more powerful then the 1050ti.
Thanks for the advice and heads up!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS