[SOLVED] Need advice for cpu stuck to heatsink

themajorzeldagamer

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
Hi, I'll keep this as straight to the point as I can. As the title points out, my ryzen 7 3700x is stuck to the stock cooler heatsink(wraith prism cooler). I have not been able to successfully take off the cpu from the heatsink. I have several tools at my disposal including a dual mode heat gun (750 and 1100 degree F), 70% isopropyl alcohol, floss, qtips, flat head screwdriver, and a hair dryer. I've tried using a the floss method of trying to get in between the cpu and the heatsink, but I just can't seem to get it to work. Perhaps theres a certain technique to it? Anyways, I'm worried about using the heat gun as I've heard that if not used properly, I risk damaging the cpu. If you recommend using the heat gun, what is the proper way to do so and is the lower setting of the heat gun I own too hot? I'm afraid to use the hair dryer since I've heard something about ionized particles damaging the cpu? ANY help would be appreciated to get this stupid heatsink off.

EDIT : here’s a picture of them View: https://imgur.com/a/1EBBqyH

Solution
If it won't come off by twisting the CPU while holding the heatsink, which is what you usually want to do to the heatsink when removing it is twist it as you pull up, then you can try what this guy shows. Possibly. Looks like the bottom of your cooler is somewhat different so your mileage might vary. Whatever you do, don't pry on the substrate, which is the green part. Be sure to get under the heat spreader which is the silver part.

The other option is to put it BACK on, run it with a load until it gets warm, shut down and then take the cooler off the CPU by using a slight twisting motion while gently pulling up.
If it won't come off by twisting the CPU while holding the heatsink, which is what you usually want to do to the heatsink when removing it is twist it as you pull up, then you can try what this guy shows. Possibly. Looks like the bottom of your cooler is somewhat different so your mileage might vary. Whatever you do, don't pry on the substrate, which is the green part. Be sure to get under the heat spreader which is the silver part.

The other option is to put it BACK on, run it with a load until it gets warm, shut down and then take the cooler off the CPU by using a slight twisting motion while gently pulling up.

Solution

themajorzeldagamer

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018

I think I watched this video, but had no luck. The heat sink is different from one the shown in the video and I was not able to get the cpu off that way, I actually did manage to get the cpu off constantly working around the cpu with a qtip dabbed in alcohol around the edge and for a while and just barely able to get the floss underneath.

Glad you got it off, but in the future please do not select your own answer as the Solution on this forum. The powers that be seriously frown on it and it violates the forum guidelines. Regardless, glad you got it off and good luck. In the future, as I said, try removing it after running it with a load for a while to warm the thermal interface material somewhat and then gently twist as you remove the heatsink. AM4 CPUs sticking to the heatsink is a pretty well known problem and I'm surprised nobody has come up with a tool to specifically remove them yet but since it's really not THAT hard to get them off like you did, that's likely why they haven't.

Good luck Major.